Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

yes it is @JPJ, My mr shaz was wiped out for the rest of the day xx

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

@JPJ curious to see what others say to your question but generally it can be quite an exhausting experience for a person physcially when they have a panic attack. Almost like doing a high intensity work out at a gym but you weren't prepared for it or hadn't been to a class in ages. The body isn't that used to it and will tend to just need to recover for a bit and that can look like drowsiness or sleep or fatigue for many. 

Is that what “grounding”is?

I can imagine that could have broken some of Mr Darcy's confidence for sure - it sounds like you worked well through this! When you went to hospital did they discuss with you much about panic attacks and what it is - did that visit help you both know the indicators for panic for Mr Darcy?

Yes @JPJ I think it is fairly typical to feel totally exhausted after a bad panic attack. I know I feel totally wiped out afterwards. It is a pretty extreme physical reaction after all, and it takes a fairly heavy physical toll on you. @Lauz

@Former-Member those are good examples - for others, grounding exercises can help your loved one disconnect a little bit from the rush of panic that is happening to them in that moment. It can be through simple exercises like getting them to point out 5 things they see around them. Get them to describe an item around them, what does it feel like, smell like etc. 

These tasks are really easy so it doesn't overwhelm them or pressure them.

Much like distraction techniques of talking about something a little more basic and away from panic - talk about what they feel eating for dinner, or what is their favourite beach to go to, things that spike there interest that can pull them away from the moment but aren’t too big to think about. Anyone else tried things like this?

I did not think of going to the hospital @Lauz, @Former-Member

Mr shaz just wanted to get home and that was it

Did you talk through the panic attack once you got home at all @Shaz51 - what did you do once you were home to help settle him or did being home help get him out of the panic?

In my case I rarely ever have PA's - it's directly related to trauma (CPTSD).

I've only had a few in the past 10 or 15 years.

I'm in a "trauma-triggered" hyper-alert state at the moment (past 6 to 8 weeks) - due to prolonged & repeated stressful events (triggers & stressors).

So that makes me more prone to be "re-triggered", & to have stronger reactions than usual - ie PA's etc.

My anxiety is usually at a low & manageable level - that's not the case, over the past 6 to 8 weeks.

Adge

@Adge - sounds like you are working through a lot - good that you are so aware and that you are working with your therapist. I am sure a lot of carers can relate to supporting a loved one who has been affected by trauma too. Re-triggers linked with panic attacks would be hard to push through. You mentioned your therapist says 'pause', does that kind of wording help you in the moment? In what way (if you are comfortable sharing that is!) 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance