Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

Thanks @Former-Member - getting them into the moment is a really good technique too. Can you tell us a bit more about grounding exercises?

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

Hi @Adge - welcome and thanks for coming along to this even after your own panic attack. Hope youa re feeling okay. Maybe you can help those that do support others here - what are some things that help you or more so what do you wish someone around you would or could do to help?

I stay quiet with him and we lay down hold his hand and do the meditation app together Sometimes I would have to encourage him to stay calm

yes @Lauz

I told mr shaz about the topic tonight ,and he remembers that day as well as others

Yes same here @JPJ, just being with them and holding them helps xxx

I can relate to what you said happened to Mr Shaz (glued to the spot) @Shaz51

That's what happened to me this morning - I froze, my mind went blank, & I virtually stopped breathing (gasped).

Fortunately I was in session with my Psychologist, when this happened (at first) -

She said: "Breathe, stop pushing yourself" "Pause".

Adge

@JPJ - thanks for sharing that. It sounds like you have worked really hard with your son to explore what it is that helps you help him ️ This prompts me to another discussion point I had:

Working together – it might not be available in everyone’s relationship with the person they care for but I wonder, does anyone work with their loved one on their panic attacks? Have you ever discussed them, looked at the triggers or decided on steps to take when it happens? For those that are with us with their own experiences feel free to offer your experiences with others or even what kind of things you would work on with someone wanting to help..

together.jpg

16yr old is often wiped out and sleeps for ages afterwards. Is this common for others?

I have just remembered Mr Darcy did have a panic attack.  I ended up taking him to hospital @Lauz as he was feeling unwell, said  his heart was pounding and he was in pain and distressed.  I was worried he was having a heart attack. 

All a bit embarrassing, he was put on APs and had trouble in the bedroom department and one evening not long before bedtime and had a panic attack because of 'lack of  performance anxiety'.   The med was discontinued but it took a long time to wear off and a lot of courage and encouragement for him to engage in intimate activities to see if function had returned.

@Lauz I like to look around me and name things around me that I can see. Try to use as many of your senses as possible, ie sight, sound, touch, taste, smell. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance