Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

@eth thanks for your contribution, Yes its about stricking that balance between support from family/friends and from professionals

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to support yourself while supporting others // Tues 18 June, 7pm AEST

@greenspace There are always subtle and gentle ways we can reach out hey Heart Even just, "I am thinking of you" can be a very powerful message to someone who is hurting whilst we also need our own time out.

Clear communication and negotiation sounds awesome, @eth ! 

@greenspace  perfectly said!

@nashy wrote:

@greenspace There are always subtle and gentle ways we can reach out hey Heart Even just, "I am thinking of you" can be a very powerful message to someone who is hurting whilst we also need our own time out.

Absolutely!

Guys what incredible and valuable insight and questions from tonight. So stoked with everyone who has joined in and contributed 🙂 

To our FINAL discussion point this evening 😄 

Turning to our wonderful special guest Julia, what are some key insights from your time at e-Headspace that you think could be helpful to our community? 🙂 @eheadspace 

Caring for others can be exhausting so talk kindly to yourself and give yourself permission to prioritise yourself and attend to your own cup before you can fill some else’. Reach out to your support network, on the hard days know that there are services like eheadspace that are here to listen…

For those of you who aren’t familiar with eheadspace, eheadspace is part of headspace which is the national youth mental health foundation.

eheadspace is our national online and phone support service staffed by professional mental health clinicians. We provide a safe, secure and anonymous place to talk for young people aged 12-25 and their family and friends. We are a free service and cover all of Australia.

Since eheadspace started in 2011, it has grown in popularity with young people across Australia. Not surprisingly, many young people feel more comfortable accessing our services online or by phone.

eheadspace can be accessed via webchat, email and phone call. We also have group chats, similar to tonights Sane topic Tuesdays chat and we also have a load of resources on our website. If you want to check it out here is the weblink: http://headspace.org.au/eheadspace/

We are open everyday of the year from 9am - 1am (Melbourne time).

@Froggyhawk wrote:

Even just now i had my son walk in wanting me to do stuff for him.  My family don't respect my need for time out for self care. They think I am always available.  i am when it counts but I need space. How do i manage that?

I reckon you could try going on strike, @Froggyhawk. Not completely -- I realise that might not be practical -- but advise your family that you're taking action to demand better working conditions, and go on strike for an hour a day until your health & safety needs are met Smiley Wink

Some people will not respect, or maintain healthy boundaries - even when repeatedly & appropriately emphasised.

My Mum is such a person - I've been trying to have healthy boundaries with her, for over 30 years.

With only small improvements.

In this case, only large distance between us (several 1000's of Kms) - helps to maintain some boundary.

Adge

thank you @greenspace , @eheadspace  Smiley Very HappyHeart, @nashy 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance