Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

I think we might have posted at the same time @CharlieBravo! I've included some tips here. Anything there you think could be helpful?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

As tonight’s Topic Tuesday comes to a close, I wondered whether each of you might be able to share one or two key things you’ll take with you from our discussion tonight?

A service could include a carer peer worker, with lived experience, on its staff, or designate a staff member to include carer support and inclusion in their role. Given the prevalence of mental illness, it's highly likely that a service will already employ a/some staff that are also carers. It's about including, listening, and adjusting how a service operates, to respect and acknowledge the carer voice.

A peer work force is so critical to improving service delivery for sure @Lynne1

Sorry, I'm drowning in a sea of posts... Was there a link to the Guide?

I've mentioned some resources, and have added some others below. It could be interesting for you to see what's been happening in Tasmania. I believe you'll find the Mental Health Carers Tas website an interesting read.

A Practical Guide for Working with Carers of People with a Mental Illness, copyright Mind Australia and Helping Minds, 2016.

Tasmanian Carer Action Plan 2013-2018

Mental Health Services Consumer and Carer Participation Framework

Carer Recognition Act 2010

Tasmanian Carer Policy

National Standards for Mental Health Services

Rethink Mental Health: A long term plan for mental health in Tasmania 2015-2025

Mental Health Carers Tas Inc Caring Voices Project

I think the HOW you approach a pdoc makes a difference.

Our loved ones are under their care and we do need their guidance. It is a thankless job being on a public mental health treating team and I try to ensure that I show genuine gratitude when it is warranted.

I make it abundantly clear to Mr D's pdoc that I value her opinion, that I ask questions so that I can appropriately support my husband. When advocating for Mr D I provide links to scholarly articles that influence my thoughts  etc.  I don't think she has had a carer that has done that before.

It can be hard to keep up for sure @CharlieBravo We'll post a few links and resources in a moment 😊

I understand! I've keyed in the full title of the Guide in the list of resources I posted; it should be easy to retrieve. The headspace national website has a link to the Guide as well if that helps 

Sounds like the key there for you is collaboration and partnership @Former-Member Very useful to keep in mind.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance