Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exercise as Therapy // Tues. 19 June 7pm AEST

I definitely do not have a body beautiful @frog So I try not to compare myself with fitness magazine impressions.

My 3 major bowel surgeries (2 emergencies) left me with damaged abdominal muscles, a permanent bulge, & extensive scarring.

Yoga has helped to improve some of my flexibility, since then.

Still, it's so much easier to do yoga without a colostomy bag - after my last surgery removed it.

Adge

It can feel frustrating sometimes to have so many people encouraging exercise - particualrly when it feels really difficult to do and our mental health symptoms get in the way @FeeFee1976 I'm sure lots of us can relate to buying th exercise equipment or running shoes or gym membership...only to find that it collects dust (or laundry) somewhere. What's it been like for you when people have encouraged you to exercise? Where do you think that reluctance comes from? 

It sounds as though it would be helpful to work with your treatment team on setting small achieveable steps to support you with leaving the house bit by bit @BlueBay. So maybe on day one, try walking to the letterbox and back or walking to the neighbours house and back. Having some coping skills to support you through that is important too. What have other people found helpful to support them to manage anxiety related to exercise?

It was my psychologist who suggested that I go to yoga classes.

I didn't know anyone else who did yoga, & I had no-one to go with me.

She has always been very encouraging of my going to (doing) yoga.

My yoga teacher said that she wished that more psychologists (or professionals) would recommend yoga - to help with anxiety & depression.

Adge

For me exercise has always been a contentious issue because I am in recovery from anorexia nervosa and part of my disorder was an exercise addiction. I loved exercise since a kid and always played sport. I also struggled with severe depression and anxiety and found the exercise helped with these so it was always a balancing act between not doing too much but maintaining my mood. My team were very anti-exercise because I was underweight. I relented and finally stopped all exercise except for social sport on Sundays as it was my only real social outlet. Stopping exercise for about 3 months and just having it once a week really helped my relationship with exercise. I now know that my team just wanted the best for me and they weren't trying to stop me from doing what I love.

Sounds like you've had to overcome a fair few obstacles around health and fitness @Adge It's great you've found an exercise routine that works for you and your body.

@Adge

I used to do yoga a few years ago and did like it but my teacher left for interstate. Since then I haven't done it again. Too frightened to join a new group. I'm very shy and scared to go on my own. 

Ideas to help you stay on track

• Set small, achievable goals
  • Develop a routine
  • Do a walk or run for charity
  • Ask a friend to join you
  • Try out an exercise video on youtube
  • Join a gym
  • Take a yoga class
  • Listen to music, an audiobook, or a podcast while exercising
  • Join a local walking group
  • Go for a bushwalk
  • Go for a swim
  • Join a team sport
  • Try out an app like Couch to 5k or Zombie Run
  • Take the dog for a walk
  • Get off the train or bus a few stops early
  • Keep it fresh and change up your activity regularly
  • Try out gentle stretching at home
  • Try out weights at home

It's great that you've keep going with it @Adge Quite impressive. Did you have to push yourself at first? It sounds like the social aspect is what gets you there now.

Walking.  

I used to lift weights at home for general health then we moved and I stopped.  I bought some weights six months or so ago and hope to pick them back up again soon!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance