Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Does the label 'Carers' make you feel uncomfortable // Tues 27 March, 7pm AEDT

Well that's the case in WA (universally), it may be different elsewhere...

Re: Topic Tuesday // Does the label 'Carers' make you feel uncomfortable // Tues 27 March, 7pm AEDT

I think the equivilent dollar value for that is around the $60 billion mark.  Huge numbers that really don't go close to describing the true value of caring for someone.

It certainly is on the east coast, perhaps we can learn from your systems.

So what I've heard so far in describing ourselves as has included;

- Carer

- Wife/ husband / daughter

I have also noticed that people have avoided 'labels' and prefer to say 'I support my xyz' and similar statements.

What about the other terms in the survey I shared earlier ( I think I can already anticipate the answer) which were the terms:

- Assistant

- Supporter

- Helper

(these are in the context of unpaid)

Thanks @NikNik,

Not everyone is interested in having a conversation but having two people in my family with disabilities, I have plenty of opportunities in waiting rooms or n the school yard to have conversations with people who can often see that my loved ones are "different".

In regards to the other terms @NikNik,

I still prefer description rather than labels.

Yesterday I was looking at the $ figure on our health insurance statement for my darlings hospital admissions and almost choked so I would believe that figure. Makes the centrelink carer allowance payments look cheap by comparison.  

(And that is not intended as a complaint about centrelink, I am most grateful and couldnt do without it). 

I think the main benefit of using the term carer in the public health system is the obligations under the mental health statement of rights and responsibilities.

I definitely prefer to say 'I support my wife' @NikNik, but I also see that in many ways as my role as a husband and something done out of love rather than something that is an obligation or because I have to.

It would be the same for a child (an I will most likely be in that position with one of our children as he reaches adulthood).

For me supporting has a feeling of enabling independence as much as is possible rather than implying my loved one is helpless. (does that make sense?)  

Also as Darcy mentioned earlier I am sensitive to my darlings feelings for the same reason. 

That's what I'm sensing @Former-Member
The term 'carer' seems to be used primarily in the mental health system.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance