Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Creating and maintaining social connections // Tues 20 Nov, 7pm AEDT

FINAL  QUESTION! 

And I think we have been inadvertently talking about this all night. 

Sometimes support comes from unexpected places. I have found a really beautiful online community through Instagram and my blog.

What support networks open you up to the world? (keep in mind the forum guideline of anonymity – don’t share specific profiles or blogs!)

Re: Topic Tuesday // Creating and maintaining social connections // Tues 20 Nov, 7pm AEDT

That's a brilliant saying @jess_27

In my experience it is the people who benefitted my me having no boundaries (being compliant & passive) - who did get very angry, when I set a boundary or spoke assertively (to them).

They didn't want me to change.

Adge

@Adge Sometimes walking away says more than staying - it lets people know that they have crossed a line and you need time-out for yourself as well - so well done on doing that for your own self-care.

@jess_27 lol happy to have you stay Smiley Very Happy

Exactly @Adge

Oddly enough I think it is the relationships that resist change and boundaries the most that benefit from them the most as well. If mine and my Mum's relationship is anything to go by, we were very enmeshed and I was more of a therapist than a child, getting her to respect my boundaries took a  lot of time an dwas very difficult. But it was so worth it because our relationship is better than ever!

So we haven't got much time left but tell me more about how online places like the forums help open you up and why is that?

This forum is my major source of connections @jess_27 I do have some interactions through fb but I limit those also. My other major connection is with my DBT group - again though that is limited to once a week and the couple of ongoing connections I have made outside of that group. I really do find face to face interactions for a prolonged period of time - or in groups that aren't (and sometimes are) work related.

Well mainly this forum (support network) @jess_27

Plus online dating - although I'm not keen on how it works (or frequent disappointment).Online dating definitely get me out meeting new people (even if only once), in new places (coffee shops & parks) etc.

Thanks @Zoe7

Adge

@Adge It's interesting to think of how online dating kind of crosses that barrier. I've never really thought it that way.

So what makes places liek the forums so special? (like I know but tell me anyway lol)

This forum works because everyone can share their experiences knowing there will be others around that understand what they are going through. Sometimes only a few words are needed but the support is always there. It is a place that you can say as little or as much as you feel you can share and others will be there to listen.

@Zoe7 I'm interested to know how you found the forum?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance