Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Service Spotlight: Get to know Mental Illness Fellowship North Queensland

Welcome to our first ever Service Spotlight.

The aim of Service Spotlights is to introduce you to community based mental health organisations that you may not know about or are not quite sure what they do. Although these organisations are location specific, there are usually similar organisations throughout Australia. So even if you’re not based in these areas, we can answer your questions about similar organisations.

Monday we are welcoming Mental Illness Fellowship North Queensland. Take a look at the video below, which gives you an overview of MIFNQ. If you have any questions, post them below and @TSV4810 from MIFNQ will be around on Monday to take your questions Smiley Very Happy

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Service Spotlight: Get to know Mental Illness Fellowship North Queensland

Hi @NikNik

I often get scared of getting better (sounds silly).  Will I lose my support people and how will I cope without them.  I fear so much of being abandoned yet again.  How do I learn to deal with this, the fear of abandonment?

Hi @BlueBay
So I guess what you're asking @TSV4810 from MIFNQ is what happens when someone using their service becomes well. Do they and/or organisations like them continue to provide ongoing support?

Is that right?

PS: that's not a silly question at all 🙂

yes @NikNik and also - how do you know when you are better and don't need therapy anymore?

Hi @BlueBay,

Services like ours use a Recovery Oriented Approach so what this means in real terms is that we hope you eventually won't need us. The aim of therapy sessions is that you are able to replace service supports with natural supports like friends, relatives and community. Recovery is unique to each individual however, for you it might be a feeling or a 'knowing' where you are able to realise your own strenghts and trust your own judgement. Services like MIFNQ will always be there in the background if you need us however, we provide a step-down approach where we hope we become less needed.

Thank you @TSV4810 for your reply.  I think for me it is not easy because I 'attach' myself to my therapists as I don't get the support from my husband or children.  Having BPD is difficult because abandonment is a huge stressor for me.  And for me there is someone there that will listen non-judgementally and I can be open and honest with them.

Trusting my own judgement and seeing my strengths - that I don't have or do. But I guess with time I will hopefully be able to see my strengths and trust my own judgement.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance