Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Returning to work // Fri. 2 June, 12pm AEST

Career Chat.jpg

Are you contemplating the idea of going back to work after experiencing mental health issues? Have you recently returned back to work after experiencing mental health issues? Have you found it difficult or a relatively easy process?

In this session we are gong to talk about the fears and questions that can arise. Often a person’s self-esteem and confidence have been affected, and they feel incompetent to do their old job, or worse they are now considered by others incompetent to do the work. There is a worry about how to cope and may be faced with questions such as:

• Will the workload be too much?
  • Will they be discriminated against or will colleagues gossip?
  • Will things be too much and trigger a relapse, or worsen their condition?

These questions and issues are just the tip of the iceberg for people contemplating the idea of going back to work after experiencing mental health issues.

Two things you can do now

1) Hit the 'Like' button below to get a notification on the day

2) Can't make the session? Leave your question below

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Career Chat // Returning to work // Fri. 2 June, 12pm AEST

Hi @Maryhelen !

Just a reminder that Career Chat is starting in 5 mins 🙂

Good afternoon everyone, my name is Michelle and I am a Career planner for Ostara in Brisbane.

I would like to welcome you all to Career Chat and today’s topic ‘Returning to Work’. I hope that I can help you to understand the many benefits of returning to work with, or after, mental illness.
Many experts agree that in general working can be therapeutic and assist with recovery from mental illness. I have seen the positive connection between employment and mental health recovery first hand with many of my past clients, and a member of my own family.

Some of the advantages of returning to work can include:

• Assist with rehabilitation and recovery
• Provides independence and sense of purpose.
• Improves self-esteem and confidence which improves general mental health.
• Creates a sense of community, contribution and inclusion
• Provides the opportunity to meet people and make new friends.
• Improves financial situation; which provides the opportunity for more choices and control over lifestyle

Has anyone returned to work and how has this assisted with recovery, self esteem and confidence?

Hi @NikNik

I'll be there soon, how long is it on for?

Until 3pm @Former-Member

Hi @OstaraAust

I found work a really important part in my recovery and agree with all you mentioned above. It was only possible with a lot of support though as my industry is pretty tough.

Unfortunately my situation has changed now and my mental health has deteriorated a lot due to me losing my job. I'm slowly trying to get some sense into my life after being hospitalised at first. And I am trying to find new avenues to explore. I find that the most difficult. What do you do when you've done what you always wanted to do, how do you find new avenues to explore and a work place that helps you "stay sane"?

Hi @Former-Member

Thanks for your post.

I will try to provide you with some ideas around finding other avenues to explore.

It’s often difficult when circumstances change and we are unable to continue to do the things we love, or the things we know. I guess what we need to focus on is which aspects of our previous jobs made us feel well and which made us feel unwell. Once we separate the good bits from the bad bits, we can then look at how those good bits and the skills used for them can be transferred to other opportunities.

I remember working with a client who was a jockey and loved the ride and the race; unfortunately due to an accident he was no longer able to take the risk of a fall, which is very probable when racing horses. I remember asking him, apart from the adrenaline rush, what were the things you like best about what you did? He responded with the brisk mornings, the smells and sounds of the track and the thrill of the crowds, and of course the wins; but most of all the horses. Of course horses and racing were in his blood, riding was his life passion but he could no-longer ride. So after a few discussions and looking at other options my little jockey friend decided he was going to become a horse trainer even though this required a very different skill set; he knew horses; he still has the early mornings (each to their own); the thrill of race day and the opportunity to win and stand in front of the crowds, he just does it in a different role.

I don’t know your industry or the aspects of your job that you loved, but I’m sure that the skills you have acquired and the passion you have for what you do could be transferred to other areas of interest.

Hi everyone,

Just a few things to add before I go,

Returning to work can be daunting, especially if you have been absent for a long period of time; however, there are some things you can do to make the transition a little smoother.

Understand the benefits of working for your recovery
Know the symptoms and triggers for your mental health issue
Know your medications, how they affect you and how this may impact your work.
Learn techniques and what works best for you when managing stress
Stay in touch with your health care professional
Communicate with your employer and be actively involved in your return to work program
Seek help from health care professionals, colleagues, friends and other supports when needed.
Discuss with your health care professional how best to communicate with your employer regarding your mental health.
Work with your employer to develop a plan of action; what you and your employer will do should you have a relapse.
Discuss with your employer who else, if anyone, might need to know about your Health issues, and what information they need to be provided with.

Hi @OstaraAust@NikNik

I would like to know what happens when you see a disability job service provider? What kind of things you need to do, what to expect, what is expected of you and a million other questions? I've not worked for a very, very long time and I've had exemption for looking for work for 4 yrs now due to mental illness. I know my time is coming when I'll have to go through the process, possibly as soon as 8 weeks even though I'm not stable. In the past I've tried ringing them to calm down before my appointment but they didn't return my call and I ended up SH before my appointment and in hospital. I haven't been back since as exemption was granted. My anxiety around it is huge. Can we please have a session around this or is there a way of finding this out without facing them on my first appointment. 

Hi @Former-Member !
I believe Ostara had wrapped up by the time you posted this, but I have flagged it with them incase they didn't get the @mention
I love your suggestion!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance