Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday 7 Oct. 12pm AEDT

Career Chat.jpg

Hi everyone,

During this Career Chat we are looking at how to stand out to a potential employer.

There is lots of competition out there in the job market. There are also lots of ways you can differentiate yourself so you stand out in a positive way with potential employers. Join @Renstar from 12pm Friday 7 October to learn and share ways to stand out.

@janedoe2 - Just a reminder that the session has started 🙂

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday 7 Oct. 12pm AEDT

Thanks @NikNik and hi everyone 😊

Today's topic is standing out from the crowd when you apply for a job .

Indeed standing out in a crowd is one of the most important things to consider for those of us looking for work ... But just how do you do it ??

I recently ran a 'towards employment' session where participants saw competition and inability to stand out from the crowd as a very important concern ... No one really tells you how.

So today we going to be talking about different ways to stand out - especially when there is extra pressure due to mental illness ...

The task is mainly daunting since no one really tells you HOW to do it!... they really just tell you about how to write a resume or cover letter .

Hopefully we're going to hear your tips and tricks for standing out from the crowd and I'm going to investigate what HR personnel look for in applicants and what they find in those who do manage to stand out !
Stay tuned ! 😊

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday 7 Oct. 12pm AEDT

Standing out from the crowd, perhaps one place to start is to acknowledge what NOT to do …

Here are some definite don’ts from 'Youngster or oldster: How not to apply for a job'  … which will hopefully guide us towards standing out (since most people don’t know about these! )

• You can’t just mail it in.

One of the unemployed people interviewed  in an article 'Youngster or oldster: How not to apply for a job'  said she’d been sending out resumes for years, but never heard back from anyone.

The article comments 'I’m all for persistence, but a definition of insanity comes into play: continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results'

So, whether responding to an advertised job or blanketing the world of employers, your resume likely winds up in a pile, file or computer server with dozens, scores or hundreds of other resumes.

With standardized resume templates, online application forms and how-to books saying “follow these rules,” your credentials are likely packaged in a way that blends in with everyone else.

You must CUT THROUGH THE CLUTTER!

• So how do you cut through the clutter?

Before sending that resume and cover letter … ask yourself, then answer these questions (it’s an exercise in reality checking … the answers should be obvious)

1. Do you want to stand out—or blend in?

2. Do you think your resume should be merely a list of what you’ve done—or should it show relevance to what you can do?

3. Do you think you should let employers connect the dots (trying to figure out how your experience fits their organization)—or should you do it for them?

4. Do you think you should talk features (“I’m great”)—or benefits (“You get”)?

5. Do you think your resume should be part of a package—or a stand-alone tool?

6. Do you think it’s better to customize—or standardize?

7. Do you think having a product (resume/cover letter) is all you need—or are distribution, follow-up and networking equally important?

8. Do you think it’s better to blanket the employer world—or target?

9. Is the follow-up on you—or the prospective employer?

10. Should you show gratitude for an interview—or should the employer be honoured that you’re interested?

Customization is king!

Your written materials will bomb without smart, targeted distribution—and the networking, follow-up and gratitude to reinforce it.

And yet, this is uncommon common sense, because so many people ignore or botch the basics from day one.

So to start with ask yourself some pertinent questions, tailor your approach and be relevant – these ideas seem obvious but you would be surprised how many people DO NOT adhere to these simple rules !

The point is this. Your job as jobseeker is to convince employers that you can serve them and their customers. You don’t get a second chance to create a first impression.

Whether you’re young or old, if that first impression is boring, generic, mass-marketed and mistakeprone, you can send out resumes forever and you’ll still struggle to find a job.

Hello.
Due to ill health I have been out of the workforce in the field I was trained in. I have had a lot of time away from the officework I used to do. I have misplaced my resume which had references and dates.
I have very little confidence in the idea of working let alone succeeding in an interview.
I don't know if my health will allow for me to work yet but I like the idea of being ready when I'm able.
Any suggestions on how to get through the real obstacles I am facing.

Hi @janedoe2 welcome, thanks for contributing

Firstly you are not alone. Many of my clients have little confidence, gaps in resumes and are still working their way towards getting back into work. And many of them get there - even after years of MI and ill health, hospitalisation for some of them.

There is definitely hope, I want you to know that.

The way in which I see most of my clients (I help people get back to work) is via referrals from Job Service Network or Disability Employment Services organisations.

So I would ask; can you start by joining one of these organisations close to where you live?

I say this with the caveat that NOT ALL ARE CREATED EQUAL!. There are good and bad ones, please don't stop trying until you find a good one with a good case manager with whom you have a good fit.

Once you find your ideal case manager ... you can begin to explore the options as there will be resources there for you (self confidence courses, back to work courses, Job Club, Peer support etc).

Once you begin to join in regularly you'll get a better idea of what your needs are. Also, the reality of your barriers (is it too soon? is your old work too stressful? Do you need more counselling etc).

It's hard, this part of the journey, but stick with it - there's help out there (again you may have to search for it) and I have seen first hand the benefits of doing a program to give you confidence and having a new resume written for you (you can research online for old referees numbers or just put in new ones from Volunteer work) when you're starting out.

Maybe even going to places like Fitted For Work or Dressed For Success for new interview outfits and a good confidence boost (I"m assuming you're female from your avatar but they have men's clothes too).

Then begin to get some volunteer work, try Community organisations (Google) ask your case manager, friends, church etc etc. That will help you again determine - am I ready for real? And rebuild your confidence bit by bit.

It can be daunting so take it one step at a time.

Yes they are real obstacles you are facing, but you're not alone. Check back here, I'm here every Friday and ask questions I'm always happy to help.

Smiley Happy

Great advise. I have heard that there are good and bad agencies and this has made me hesitate. I have very little emotional reserve and am not sure I would have the internal strength to cope with a bad experience.
I've been checking out Tafe courses in the office industry and am not sure I could cope with the full time study load. The idea of getting current training might fix the hole in my working timeline.
Still trying to work out what I am able to cope with.

Hi again @janedoe2 - so hesitating about seeing a JSA or DES is stopping you at the moment?

I think then the answer is, go with someone you trust. Ask them to be with you at the first interview, also when you call tell them you're particularly sensitive at the moment and you would appreciate a case manager who would work with you sensitively ... it's not an unreasonable or unheard of request!

When you go to your first appointment, go with a friend/family member for support.

I'm hoping you'll do it ... the good ones are REALLY REALLY GOOD.! 

Example, a client was going through a DES (diagnosed BiPolar, been in institutions, poor relationships, terrible living arrangements) and through this DES had been on their self-confidence program.

As part of it, she came to me for counselling and continued even after the program had ended.

First, she got a little job, went back to TAFE, then took more hours on, eventually has now stopped taking BiPolar meds, moved house, is in a happy relationship ... took 2.5 years. Has never looked back.

I've seen it first hand Smiley Happy

As I say one step at a time, checking out TAFE is good ...volunteering is also good. Have you tried MIND courses (not sure if SANE has them) ?

Renstar. I'm in the Liverpool area in NSW. Do you know of any good ones?

A bit about cover letters … which is where first impressions count … let’s look at what makes one stand out!.

A job seeker's two most used tools in doing so are the cover letter and resume.

I asked a HR manager for some tips …

1. Use key words and phrases as were used in the position description ... I've been told that "Many hiring managers and recruiters use databases which search for resumes by keywords/keyword phrases."

Therefore, if your resume doesn't have details (i.e.,  your job role functions, etc.), you may not come up in searches and may not be contacted for particular positions," she explained. And although you are likely applying for a position at an industry related company, do not assume the person reading your resume or cover letter knows industry jargon. So avoid jargon.

2. In order to stand out, be sure to make a point of listing your accomplishments.

For some of us it’s difficult to do this … but you must if you want to stand out.

Have you run your own business?

Have you volunteered in your community?
Have you attended courses with your JSA or DES?

Include any promotions, increases in responsibility etc etc.

3. Once the interview is secured you can prepare for the meeting by researching as much as possible.

How do you stand out in an interview? It’s EASY!!

Do what others don’t …

• review the company's website, and

• do a general online search particularly looking for news related to the company and product information.

• have a general idea of who the company's competitors are.

• do a similar search on the person (or persons) you are going to be speaking with at the interview.
    For instance, where did they work in the past, and what do they do now?

• And, of course, it is vital to know the job description.

• Know your own resume, and how your experience fits into the desired role!! Seems obvious but it’s amazing how often people aren’t able to discuss their own work history with clarity.

• If you need to remember key details ... take cards in with a few key words to remind you (sometimes if you have MI your memory may be affected)

• Typically the first three to five requirements in the position description are the most important to the employer.

So, start a matrix or spreadsheet of their skills and experiences during their career and cross reference this with the requirements of jobs you like.

This is a bit intense but it works!

• Remember to close the interview. Be prepared to ask at least five well thought out questions about the position. This will definitely make you stand out!!!!

• Before you go, remember to express your interest and summarize your qualifications in order to provide a strong impression.

Since my post got deleted, (I presume cause I was slagging one particular agency), I'll state it another way.

Look at the 'star' ratings on the des website, and it gives you information about how each des performs. Stay far far away from the low performing ones.

https://www.employment.gov.au/disability-employment-services-star-ratings

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance