Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // ASK US ANYTHING! // Friday 25 Nov. 12 pm AEDT

PS I will also still be linked in with the community mental health psychosocial program doing mindfulness and fitness and possibly start DBT in April. I will still have weekly therapy appointments and my phams support worker too

Hi @Former-Member I have forwarded your request for information onto the people who know best - as I'm not across the NewStart/Centerlink information.

As soon as they reply ... I"ll let you know.

Hope that helps Smiley Frustrated

Cheers @Renstar. My PHaMs support worker is about to come so I won't be around for a couple of hours for now bit I'll look out for that info. Enjoy your time off Smiley Happy

It's just a formality as much as anything re resumes for volunteering @Former-Member do you have any community drop in centres etc, they could help you. There is also lots of info re resumes online.

I have one, but it's for work that body and mind is getting too jaded for. Was told 10 years ago by CRS counsellor that it was too late for a career change, why I hung onto that bad advice I do not know. That and horrible signs put on reception desks basically saying we are going to make your life a lot harder(ten yrs ago) and bad service prompted me to go out and do my own thing, earned lots, wasted the lot, still have the same issues re MH but with older body re physical work, just work casual as I am an Olympic day off/not available type person. Have 'faked it' for up to 6 mths at a time, but last few years, 2 months is a stretch @Renstar ..so lots opps missed, bridges burned and just doing 1-2 days or a week at time atm as people bit reluctant to give me any more than that. Has become about lowered expectations and survival as much as anything re work. Sorry if that sounds grim. It;s my work 'story' ..

Hi @Former-Member here's what a DES Employment Consultant has ...

Depends what payment this person is on, if on NEWSTART then study will for fill some of her requirements, if study is full time then she wont have to look for work. It is best for this person to have a new Job Capacity Assessment at Centrelink and take ALL documentation to support a claim not to look for work, also to tell Centrelink about her studies that may give her an exemption.

This person should also get referred to a Disability Employment Provider if she has medical documentation to support a short or long term disability.

Hope that helps ... ask more if you want more info 

Hi @TAB (great avatar btw) ... thanks for sharing.

Not grim but real. You have a real story of what it is to have MH problems and a depiction of what it was like 10 years ago and probably is still to this day in places .. .but i think it's getting better. 

There's a lot more support these days for people changing careers and also for people with disability/MI to access work and far more nurturing environments ...

In terms of work i have clients who would be thrilled with 1-2 days!

Well done for staying in the workforce despite your MH ... what would you like to do if you could do anything? (older body not withstanding..Smiley Happy.)?

👍 @Renstar @TAB

..Well I could have studied Law 20 years ago, brain's a bit the Dustin Hoffman character, a lawyer hired because they knew he would fail .. Sleepers ..

hmm have a degree in nothing in particular, thought I had enough of a 'go' at gaining related, then vaguely related employment .. well that was 20 years ago now. Thinking High Risk/Tafe Trainer. ie TAE. I have high risk tickets and ten years industry experience using them and plan on getting more .I also have trade cert so that's a possiblity although there is probably a glut of trainers at the moment.

maybe a trip to rehab and or counselling before that, can do the courses before that though, I was really worried about where things were heading re income/earnings vs addiction/depression couple months ago, but that seems to have smoothed out ..for the moment .. @Renstar

..oh.. I did volunteering well 10 ish years ago @Former-Member got bored stiff, couldnt keep up hours, would finish my days 'work' in 3 hrs ..did payroll and medical records in a major private hospital @Renstar

Hey @TAB ... trainer at TAFE is a great option I think go for it!

What have you to lose? 

Is there a glut of trainers with 10 years or so of experience? Myriad certificates ? Lived experience and a brain that could have done law (i.e. an intelligent thinker!)??

Not necessarily, so maybe worth putting yourself out there one more time!

Definitely great advice about seing a counsellor/psych before hand. I hope that helps others too, I often say that but not sure if anyone believes me!! Smiley Happy

Glad to hear things are looking up personally too ... 

PS Didnt get the Dustin Hoffman reference ... sleepers ... either ... doh ... brain mush also Smiley LOL

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance