Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Work pressure killing me, seeking advice

@BryanaCamp 

I am sorry, it must feel terrible to not be able to enjoy anything. But since you are able to enjoy certain things anyway, that is a good thing! Yes, I am enjoying my studies. I just need to find a stable job, and then I won't have too much to worry about.

If you have been able to accomplish that in 2 years, it is a significant achievement! I have been trying, albeit intermittently, for over 15 years now to meet people and make friends, but it hasn't succeeded thus far.

I agree with you about our colleagues having a big role to play in how stressed we get. But in my case, it is more about how stressful the demands placed on me as a candidate and employee are. I think it is just the nature of the beast. My profession is inherently stressful, and the hiring process is very rigorous because these jobs pay well. But I am at that stage of life where I need to place my health and well being above my earning potential. High paying jobs are stressful, and it seems like the high levels of stress is precisely the reason why these roles pay well. What am I even going to do with all the money if I go insane with stress?

Wow, going out for lunch with friends! I can't remember the last time I did that. I always go out alone. It does get lonely sometimes, but I still keep myself entertained. For instance, I watched a couple of movies at the cinemas and dined out during the weekend. It was by myself as usual, but I still had fun!

Hello @aficionado and a shout-out to @BryanaCamp 

Just wanted to acknowledge all your posts. I've been chatting with other members so I don't have as much time or energy left as I thought I did.

You guys are making really good decisions! 👍 Not only that, but you're not beating yourselves up. Will talk another time...

Take care;

Hope xo Heart 👵

@Hope4me 

Good to see a post from you again! Hope you are doing alright!

Looks like you are helpingf a lot of people out here! Very noble thing to do. Hope you get your energy back soon!

hi @aficionado  and @Hope4me 

hope you're travelling well today Smiley Happy

@aficionado I didn't realise you had such a high pressure job, wow. Last time I did was about 20 years ago & I got really sick & had to change careers. You're absolutely right to value your health & well-being, it's great to have money, it gives you options but you also have to have a good quality of life & I'm sure you know what's best for you.

Thanks for your encouragement about my friendships, I thought I was very slow but I guess it doesn't matter how long it takes, so long as you get there. I'm sure you'll get there too in time, you have a lot to offer & are a warm person which are the best kind of friends I reckon. It's cool you can enjoy your own company, I go to films by myself too, it is quite fun & you get to concentrate totally on the film.

Hey there @aficionado 

I'm finally responding to your post on April 5; better late than never. I thought I'd give you and Briana a chance to get to know each other, and give me a breather from the heavy stuff which can overwhelm me very quickly if I don't take care.

My interpretation of your interview's a bit embarrassing. It only took a couple of words to throw me off course. (How you could've done it standing on your head a couple of years ago) Thankyou for being so understanding 🙏 as some people would lash out at my presumptuous opinions. 😬 It was written with genuine care I assure you.

As for taking a break from programming interviews? It's a great idea! Being overwhelmed by trying to be it all put me in hospital for a couple of weeks. It's best to prioritise and not sweat the small stuff.

A part-time easy job provides $ but also saves brain power for study. Have you thought about approaching the Uni to see if they need tutors or even a cleaner for instance?

I'm sorry I haven't been in a good mindset to discuss topics of importance with you lately. My life's a bit of a tight squeeze money wise and getting my business off the ground is worrying. I've been spending a bit of time in the craft corner to redirect thoughts; it's a girl thing. It isn't anything against you ok; I just can't focus on too many serious things at once.

I should go; my thoughts are starting to wander again. I probably won't be by as often as I'd like until life changes a bit for me. Tag me in a not-so-serious thread if you're up to a bit of light hearted fun or banter. I think we both could benefit.

Till next time;

Take care;

Hope xo Heart 👵

@BryanaCamp 

Yeah, my profession usually pays well, but it is certainly not for those having problems coping with stress. And it is also highly dependent on the work environment. Unfortunately for me, the previous company I worked in was toxic in every possible way. I am surprised that I was actually able to resign before I was driven completely insane.

Once again, thanks you for making me feel like a worthy human being! Really appreciate that!

@Hope4me 

While your attempts at helping people out here is appreciable and noble, it shouldn't be at the cost of compromising your own well being. It looks like you need time off these forums to regain your energy.

And no, your interpretation wasn't embarrassing. That's how it would be for most people. My situation is a bit unique, and it doesn't happen to too many people. Why would I lash out at someone who actually tried to help me? That would make me a really awful human being. I really appreciate the time and energy you spent in analysing my situation, in spite of being drained already.

Oh, and I have indeed looked around for jobs at my university. I was told that vacancies usually open up after each term. So I hope there will be something for me once the current term ends.

Please, do take your own time and sort things out in your life. You have already done a lot to help me and other folks here. It is high time you helped yourself too.

I too may not be on here too often, since I just got my exam dates (it is on 9th and 10th May). and also have a ton of assignments to complete.

It doesn't matter how long you take to post here again. But when you do, I hope it will be good news from your end. You really do deserve that.

Please take care of yourself.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance