Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Kriss
Contributor

So, about accepting aid right-

I didn't know where to put this not gonna lie.

Okay so, I'm one of those people who prefer depending on themselves because well, it's been like that since childhood and i'm a believer about the person who can really help us the most is ourselves.

But I also know that it can come with issues because then I end up taking too much on myself. And well, we're human and we all need aid and support. Which I hate but hey- it's just how we are and that's okay. Uncomfortable but it's a work in progress for me.

I've been reaching out a little more, and actually asking for some help at times despite how uncomfortable it is. Such as asking a friend for a lift to a clinic since I can't and all that stuff. I always feel so bad about it and i'm always super grateful.

But sometimes I wonder if i'm being too selfish? Which i know comes from the messages i got from my childhood but it's really hard to tell because well, I don't want to use or take advantage of anyone. How do you guys deal with that? Do i just have to- somehow keep reminding myself? But what if i start asking too much or something???

This came up in my head again since a friend offered to help pay for some of my medical fees which is- a lot. I thought i might cry when i heard it. I said not to worry about it but there's so much taking a toll on me but I could probably push myself a little more and manage it or something but- I just don't know what to do.

I don't know what the right thing to do is. I don't know what I should do. I don't want to just take but I also know logically i really need some help but, yeah. How do I know when i'm asking too much? I know they're the ones offering but i can't help but feel guilty and- man this is confusing me.

1 REPLY 1

Re: So, about accepting aid right-

Hey @Kriss I am also way too self reliant. I never wanted to burden anyone else with my problems and outwardly would be a rock for others. It got to a point where it was really dangerous for me. I relate so much to feeling guilty when people are helping me, even when they are the ones that offered. Let me think a bit (I write even though I have all the time to think before posting)

I'm certainly not over feeling like that, not by a long shot. But I am a lot better. For me it took very small steps, it is kind of like building a muscle or something. I would have to consciously catch myself and say "It is OK for me to be receiving this"
Well I still am not very good at it.

It is confusing and hard to navigate, I guess I would say take people at their word. If they are offering things and it is someone you know well it is like a sign of respect to think they are legitimate and have really thought things through.

OK like usual I don't know if that is relatable or even makes any sense. I hope you navigate these confusing things and find a way to get the help you need. It certainly isn't easy stuff!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance