Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Self identity

Thank you

Hey @Damienp

Glad to hear you get a good feeling about the forums so far, we're a pretty supportive bunch Smiley Happy Remember if you want members to get a notification of your post to put an @ in front of their name. 

Looking forward to hearing about the 5 things you're working towards if you want to share. It reminds me of some threads we have for celebrating achievements, like this one: Thumbs up Thursday - Woohoo! 🎉

Hi @Damienp 

Congratulations on being in recovery!!!

I have Borderline Personality Disorder too. I have found DBT to be extremely helpful. I bought many books on DBT and learned as much as I could even before I finally found proper DBT therapy. Learning general mindfulness skills (which is the core of DBT) has proved to be absolutely amazing in learning to regulate my emotions, behaviours, and not believing everything I think and feel. There are many mindfulness apps or youtube videos you can watch to learn about mindfulness. 

A really good exercise I did was thinking "If everyone in the world approved of me, what values would I have." This way I found what my real values were, NOT the values I thought people wanted me to have. I spent so much time trying to be who I thought I should be. This made it difficult to understand my who I actually was. 

Hope this was helpful, and good luck with your journey 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance