Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Needing reassurance from the professionals all the time

@BlueBay 

Hello BlueBay

In your post on Wednesday 24 Mar 21 at 1.29 pm

Your comment “struck a chord” with me when you referred to anxiety at work.

I remember working in an office, some years ago, where I was a member of staff dealing with clients all day. There were times that I would feel as if I was going to fall out of the chair. When I reached this point I knew that when lunchtime came I would have to set an alarm and go into the stationary room and lie down for a 30-minute rest. Most often that was all that was needed to continue the day. I found that simply lying down in a quiet place away from the “coal face” was enough to refresh me.

It helps at times, particularly in a good workplace, probably more especially in a not-so-good one, to have an option available where we can take the pressure off completely.

Knowing that such an option is available, even if we never need to use it, can actually assist in reducing anxiety. What we are dealing with are groups of symptoms, and what any health care professional does is deal with the more extreme aspects of those symptoms. The more that we can do for ourselves in terms of addressing the issues arising from acute symptoms in or near the space where they are most likely to occur, the less we need to fall back on the medical professionals who support us in dealing with the more chronic or ongoing aspects of our symptoms.

The ways to reduce anxiety in the workplace are to give ourselves options by which we deal with issues that arise, or may arise during the day.

It is a matter of preparing, in advance, the ways that we can create a withdrawal, a diversion, or other changes that will allow for a reduction in the severity of the symptoms that we are likely to face at any given time in whatever space those symptoms are likely to occur.

If you are in a workplace that you feel is going to accept your suggestions, and if you think they would need to know, then it would be good to obtain their approval in advance, so that:

1. They are aware of the issues, and

2. They can make any arrangements that need to be made to implement your suggestions/requests. (Like providing a folding bed in a suitable location)

The aim is to address any symptoms before they escalate to a higher level of intervention requirement. What you are effectively doing is reducing the chance of;

today while at work I was feeling anxious and lightheaded and sweaty.  I then thought in my head 'oh no I am going to faint' the staff will need to call an ambulance; I have then made a scene in front of the customers and staff.  And then I end up feeling really sick where I either call my doctor or make an appt to see him.”

This is the type of situation where escalation occurs, whereas, as in any emergency response scenario, if the issue can be dealt with at source, further, higher-level action may not be required.

The more you are able to do for yourself, the more confident you will become. That increase in confidence may improve what you are able to 'report' to your doctor, which represents an upward, improving spiral.

Hoping that this may be an option for you

Best Wishes

HenryX

@HenryX

Re: Needing reassurance from the professionals all the time

@BlueBay wrote:

Hi @oceangirl  no I haven't really been given any advice. I think what I'll do I'd def tslk to my doctor snd psych when I see him in 3 weeks time. He msy suggest outpatient program. I'll see what he says. 

How are you? It might help for you to do an outpatient program (dbt, acceptance and commitment therapy, cbt) The first one is in more depth and detail. You could ring your private hospital and get information on the programs and what days they offer it. Sometimes there is a waiting period and DBT is usually a closed group. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance