Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

jamesle2015
Senior Contributor

Insomnia

I always have trouble getting to sleep

I have neck pain as well

13 REPLIES 13
greenpea
Senior Contributor

Re: Insomnia

@jamesle2015  Hi Jamesie2015 I have a dreadful sleep pattern. Am here if you want to talk. peaxx

Ali11
Community Builder

We're sorry to hear that you have trouble sleeping @jamesle2015, is neck pain constant for you? 

Gazza75
Senior Contributor

Hi @jamesle2015 @Ali11 @greenpea 

I usually try and bore myself to sleep when I'm struggling.  I count backwards from 100 visualising the numbers in my head.  It's similar to counting sheep.  I read today about a podcast called 'sleep wth me' which does basically the same thing.  I also find I sleep better if I stick to exercising and also a regular sleeping pattern where possible.

It's going to be harder with neck pain.  

We've heard that exercise does help with sleep @Gazza75, it's almost as if you use up all of your batteries and energy so you go to sleep flat. There's also a ton of apps out there which provide noise or stories that are meant to help you fall asleep too. Counting backwards sounds good - do you get far in your countdown? 

@Ali11 not usually  it's a skill I have practiced for nearly 30 years. 

That is a great skill @Gazza75, do you have any tips to someone who is struggling to get to sleep and looking to count backwards? 

Previously listening to AM radio helped me to go to sleep
Maybe because I lost concentration when they were talking

Hi @Ali11 @jamesle2015 @greenpea ,

I think taking deep breaths, slowing down your breathing if your feeling a little angsty.  Also taking your time and visualising each digit of the number.  It's not very often that I make it down to 90.  

We've just found a link for a guided meditation to help sleep, one that we used many years ago with some success. Not once did we get all the way through... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLZPWqfyZVk

This is an old hypnosis tape I found. I claim no ownership of the audio. If you can identify it I would love to find the original author so I can acquire more. Image: https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548248_781175262082_1307796789_n.jpg
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance