Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Hyperballad
Senior Contributor

Feeling like I need to be looked after

Has anyone felt like they just want someone to look after them? I dip into that feeling every now and then, especially when things get tough. It’s like wanting to be rescued, protected or saved. It’s an odd sense of being alone and fear I won’t survive. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Feeling like I need to be looked after

YES @Hyperballad !

It's a feeling that came with being a borderline. I moved between the extremes of caring for someone and needing to be cared for. This is where the co-dependency came in. It was very difficult to the point that the other person felt smothered. 

I wonder what has caused these feelings to come up for you?

@tyme I think it’s a sense of fear and feeling overwhelmed. Also not trusting my own capabilities. I definitely also get into a space where I am good at caring for someone - helps take the focus from my own challenges lol

I had to find a balance though. So I stick to caring for people or being cared for @Hyperballad ... not so much I seek to be cared for nowadays... it's changed

@Hyperballad @tyme 

according to Gabor Mate all mammals (including humans) have a gene for "to care and be cared for".  We are fundamentally social animals.  You notice with pets, they are there for you when you need them.  Also, when we are are stressed and going through hardship, the brain reverts to a more primitive child like state.  That is where that feeling of needing to be rescued comes in.

That is ok, just be aware of what you are feeling and know it will not last.  Be aware of what is happening and why it is happening.  The issue is, there may be an opportunistic predator who exploits your vulnerable state.  They will promise you the world and exploit you in return.  Just be aware that when you are in your vulnerable moments, dont make any big, life changing decisions.  Revert to self care and be gentle with yourself.

@Hyperballad 

Very much so. Its something that is fairly extreme for me at the moment as my partner just ended (last week) our 15 year relationship, and nothing to do with me being borderline, they had finally come to grips with their sexuality and realised that meant we couldn't be together.

My life revolved around this person, I had moved remote (repeatedly) for their work and now I am a poor position both being physically isolated from friends and family but also in a much much worse financial situation. While it makes sense than anyone in my position would be having a rough time, I just keep thinking how much I want someone or something to come save me. I don't know how to be a person on my own, and I havent for all my of my adult life.

Hey @Sand , 

That sounds incredibly difficult. I hear that you have been reliant on someone for many years. It's understandable that you feel you feel you don't know how to be a person on your own. It's like your 'other half' has disappeared. 

I'm wondering if that can be seen as a sort of grief to work with? Such losses can really impact someone. It was great to see you on the Peer Group Chat tonight. I hope you will be able to find the support you need on the forums. 

Do you have anyone you can speak to?

@tyme 

Thank you very much for your concern, I appreciate it 🙂

I have a lot of wonderful friends and family who are spending lots of time with me on the phone, and quite a few that are making a long trip to spend time with me in person.

My ex is also a kind person that wants me to succeed through this, and so i'm not being forced to make any major decisions of where to go or what to do in the immediate future, but i still will have to make those decisions without any of the options looking promising.

I have a lot to be grateful for, but I still feel so hollow and I know that the amazing quality of life that I had is going, and that because I sacrificed a career for her, my earning potential is incredibly limited.

Hey @Sand ,

It sounds like you have some wonderful supports. That is so important. 

If you feel you would benefit from Grief counselling, know that Griefline is available https://griefline.org.au/

At the same time, I'm sure there are others on the forums who can relate to what you have shared. Is sure doesn't sound easy, but your outlook and reflection is so inspiring to read.

@tyme 

Thank you 🙂

I tried griefline but found the person I spoke to not particularly helpful, not because they were a bad person on uncaring but we just didn't gel at all.

On a more positive note I have called the SANE line twice and both times had wonderful people that truly made a difference.

I'm trying my best to have a wide support network, so I don't end up burning out friends and family. I'm trying to accomplish something each day so I feel like I am becoming a worthwhile human in my own right, as I currently feel like a child who suddenly needs to look after itself.

I'm trying to do all the right things, eating well, exercising, sleeping at the same points though my sleep is awful. In spite of all this I feel like I am in near constant anguish and I just want that feeling to stop

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance