Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Alcohol ... how to know when it's a problem

Hey everyone... this might sound silly. But I have a question... how do I know if I'm an alcoholic?

Over the last few months (since i really sort of became mentally unwell) I had been drinking every evening, just a few glasses of wine. Sometimes I would get a bit tipsy, sometimes I would get drunk, and sometimes I would get really drunk and say bad things or throw up or make a terrible fool of myself. But during the week just tipsy mostly.

A couple of weekends ago I drank way too much and said some things I didn't mean to my partner and his family which as you could imagine didn't go down to well. All is forgiven but I promised my partner I wouldn't drink again because I clearly can't handle my alcohol. Since then I have never wanted anything so badly and tonight as I type this I am drinking a glass of wine (first one since the bad incident). Do I have a problem? Is it ok if I just have one glass and then stop? How do I know if I need to stop altogether?

I have always been a bit of a lightweight in the past (like 4 drinks and I'm wasted) but then I would not want to drink again for weeks. Now it doesn't matter if I'm hungover I still want a drink the next night. I'm 31 years old and my friends and I would usually go out for a few glasses of wine on the weekend (not since I have been isolating though) so I'm worried that if I try to completely quit I will stay isolated because I won't really be able to go out with my friends etc.

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Alcohol ... how to know when it's a problem

Hi.

I wouldn't want to make a diagnosis but some points in your post are alarming.

1. You broke a promise you made to your partner.

2. If you're drinking now, does he know, if not - why?

3. Increase in intake

4. "Just one and then stop"- is a rehab catchphrase (I know for myself)

5. The fact that you're wondering

I highly recommend this article and this group overall: https://alcorehab.org/alcohol-treatment/when-seek-help/

The info is straightforward and clear.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much @OrneryPuppy will have a read. I messaged my partner and told him before he came home from work and he was ok with it, and said he was proud of me for only having one. He had said to me the day before (when I said something about not drinking again) "of course you can but you just need to stop at 2 drinks" so he's thinking more along the lines that it is ok but then he doesn't realise how much I want a drink. The fact that I think about it all afternoon worries me. But I wonder if the only reason I'm thinking about it and want it is because I'm alone/bored/lonely/sad

In my experience drinking doesn't make me happier, it's escapism and usually ends up causing more problems. So now I don't drink at all. It's surprising how much people try to peer pressure you, but saying no to something and not giving in to it causes me to feel stronger. Just remember alcohol is very addictive.

Geez I just read it... I would like to be able to change my ways but still enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner. Do you think that's possible?

Only you can answer that. For me I know its not.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance