Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Accepting my illness

@Caringsoul73 @Tortoiseshell  Welcome Caringsoul73 and thank you for tagging me Tortoiseshell. I have two diagnosis by two different  psychiatrists one said I have schizoaffective disorder whilst the other says I have bipolar I. The thing is I really dont care any more what the diagnosis is as long as I get the correct treatment. I am also in the process of being tested for epilepsy .... so who knows. Anyway I just wanted to say hello and say that you are not alone on this journey. Be kind to yourself. greenpeaxx

@Owlunar 

Hello, lovely to meet you 🙂

To answer your question re: seeing mental illness as ugly, has been my view of it over a long period of time. So no one told me that, rather it's my feelings totally. At one point when my illness was severe, I saw it as very ugly. I know I'm not an ugly human for having this illness from a rational perspective,  but my emotions tell me otherwise pretty quickly sometimes. 

I find it interesting about how you mention ourselves changing the way we view our mental health. I guess over time I've seen stigma attached or people being flippant about mental illness etc and those views really pound in my mind. I feel that a lot of people are ignorant of it or have a certain views or might even be scared of it in some sense. 

I do harbour guilt for having my diagnosis and the label, yes absolutely. The only thing that eases the guilt ( and the guilt has eased more over time as I've tried to come to terms with it and acceptance), is that I've sought treatment, talk therapies, cognitive therapy and a range of lifestyle coping strategies to deal with it. 

My children are well looked after, sociable and doing well at school and generally happy kids. 17 and 14, have no issues and are pretty resilient. The only thing is that they notice more things that can't be covered up like when they were little. I'm their rock and they value me and how I've raised them. I'm lucky that my illness is much more controlled but it still bothers me that they can see imperfections in my character throughout. 

My eldest still believes I taught him life skills, creativity, independance and was always and still am there with a smile and warm hug.  My youngest tells me all the time that I'm caring and that she can talk openly with me. That to me is everything. I just have to learn to accept I have this illness and work with it. 
I watched an interview on SBS demand once of a lady that suffered dreadfully of postpartum psychosis. Even though that illness is different, I related to the lady and admired her courage for speaking out, holding her dignity. I felt everything toward her, empathy, kindness and compassion to her family unit. Not once did I think she was hopeless etc for having an illness. 

I think my style is that I'll always give but I need to remember I'm worthy of receiving my own acceptance. I just haven't forgiven myself for having the illness yet.  
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'll see you on the forum 🙂

@outlander 

Hello,

nice to meet you!

Sorry to hear that you don't have family support. It can be tough dealing with mentally illness and moving through it, frustrating if people around you don't understand. 

I hope you can feel a sense of connection on the forum at least to get support around you. 
I love the way you mention it doesn't define you and you are so right saying we can do things to help ourselves to cope better. I agree. Sometimes it takes years to find the mix too. 

take care 🙂

@Caringsoul73  Hi there, just dropping by to see how you are travelling today.

I managed to rescue my washing before a shower, now I’m watching a beautiful sun set.

I hope you are managing to find some time for yourself, in between caring for everyone else.

Enjoy your evening. 💙💙

@Maggie 

Hello,

Glad you saved the washing!

Thank you for checking in 🙂 

I'm in Melbourne so it's been raining all weekend! We are in stage 4 restrictions so we're housebound anyway but allowed one hour exercise. Hubby and I went for a walk inbetween what we thought was a rain break and got drenched! We laughed lots 🙂 
I managed to settle with a comedy today, something light.
 Made honey blossom candle melts and candle wicks too which I love doing. 

I schedule myself every Sunday to have a couple of settling hours to just ' do what I feel' and it's nice. 

What interests do you have ? Do you have a hobby?

@Caringsoul73  I actually like a walk in the rain, just not the feel of wet clothes.

Stage 4 lockdown is really hard. My heart goes out to all in Melbourne.

I really like the sound of your honey blossom candle melts and wicks. I will look it up, as I have a candle image in my mind. There is a Craft Corner  thread, where some of us share what we do. You are welcome to ‘ show and tell’ or just look.

I actually paint stones. I’ve found a way to bring some colour into some dark days. It doesn’t always work, but mostly, it does.

I hope today is ok, or ok enough. My first coffee this morning, always the best one. Leaving one for when you wake. 💚💕

@Maggie - good morning how's you 

@Fluttershy1  Enjoying my first coffee. I hope you are doing ok. 

@Maggie - can you look at my thread when you get a chance I shared something crafty. 
im not doing so well right now. Haven't slept... 

I'm safe

Heading over there now @Fluttershy1 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance