Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A long rave

@CheerBear  Just edited my last post.

By psyching myself up to go to the shop I mean the tiny supermarket only a few doors down @eth. Should be easy really 😏

Big hugs to you for and with that one and for the emotional and concerned you're experiencing. It's hard when something comes up that triggers lots of stuff. I find it confronting to think of some of the consequences of bad stuff happening and how much it has impacted me. I know for me I can't stay in that place for long because I feel a bit like I'll sink or get stuck if I do, though maybe sometimes it is helpful to sit and ponder working through it. It isn't nice to be feeling the way you are though. How do you think you'll spend the rest of your afternoon from here?

It is great that you have your psych and through the NDIS. So helpful.

Just read the edit @eth. What would be right for you with it (the talking about it a d where)? That's maybe what is worth thinking about and making a decision on 🙂

@CheerBear Thanks.  I'll probably stick the telly on and zone out as much as possible.   Create space for things to bubble through my consciousness.  Maybe going for a swim later in the day with sil. 

As my psychologist says 'you've got to feel it to heal it'  and I mostly feel comitted to that process since it's been so many years with complex PTSD and I really want to lessen the effect that has on my life.  I get that that doesn't work for everyone, and also that it can be a long time after events before a person is even able to remember or ready to talk.  Part of the article I referred to is about possible causes of memory loss, blackouts etc - all the symptoms listed are things I've experienced and sometimes still do.

Zone out and a swim sounds great @eth.

I agree with your psych to an extent. I think that needs a little footnote to say *only when it is safe for you to feel it and only in your time, in your way. Sounds like you're ready to though and you're in a place where you can tolerate the distress that it might create in a healthy way.

I'm tempted to ask to read the article if you can and would like to share it, though I feel I'd need to be a little careful.

Step one - get dressed is done for me. Hardest part over surely 😉🙂

This is the link for it @CheerBear  but I agree about being careful.  Perhaps choose a time to read it when you have time to feel your feelings and sit quietly with yourself.  If you do read it we can talk about it if you want to.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-unseen-victims-of-traumatic-brain-injury-from-domestic-...

I have been to the shop and back. I feel ridiculous that it took me so long to get there today when it is such a small trip.

Thanks for sharing it @eth. Going to make the kids some lunch, do the dishes and then maybe/probably have a read. Might be good to chat about it. But I will go carefully too 🙂

Hugs again. Just the title in the link is enough to imagine what you might be going through at the moment ❤

Thanks for the hugs @CheerBear.  Right back atcha.

Will check in here later today and see how you're going.

Hey @eth. Just wanted to see how you are doing. I read the link and can understand why that might have stirred some things up for you.

Hope TV and zone out has felt good ❤

@eth 💕
@CheerBear 👋
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance