Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Who Loves Reading Books?

Hi @frog , I never knew this thread existed! How exciting! 🙂

I was disappointed in The Midnight Library as well. Also The Dictionary of Lost Words - it was OK, but nothing special I thought. 

Will take a photo of the book I'm currently reading and swop to my phone where I can upload it...

Am currently reading Just an Ordinary Family by Fiona Lowe, an Aussie author. It's about twins who live very different lives, one has had to deal with physical difficulties all her life while the other has breezed through life and has it all, a job she loves, the perfect husband and 2 children. 

However things go wrong for the twin with the perfect life - in surprising ways that you don't see coming. And how each twin reacts is fascinating. Am nearly at the end and it's been gripping. I'm enjoying the characters a lot. 

@frog @BPDSurvivor  @Sans911 @Hams  @Appleblossom @Denv12  @Abner @Shaz51  @Isabelle @Caringsoul73  @Ali11  @Hope4me  @BronH  @DesertRat  @Dec  @jay2  @greenpea  @BlueBay 

(Can't upload the photo of the cover as my pic is too large apparently)

Have just read through this very enjoyable thread. 🙂

I like most fiction books, mystery, thrillers, novels about childhood trauma and MI, some autobiographies, but nothing too gory like horror or with lots of body parts! I like some womens' fiction if it's uplifting and not superficial. 

@BPDSurvivor  I thought We Need To Talk About Kevin was unforgettable and confronting. I also like psychological thrillers (you mentioned you like them) 🙂

@Sans911  I also like novels about overcoming adversity. 

@frog @BPDSurvivor  @Sans911 @MDT  @Appleblossom @Denv12  @Abner @Shaz51  @Isabelle @Caringsoul73  @Ali11  @Hope4me  @BronH  @DesertRat  @Owlunar  @jay2  @greenpea  @BlueBay 

Hey @NatureLover good to see you here!

I've just reserved Just an Ordinary Family at my local Library. Sounds like my kind of story.

One of my favourite books is one called "Ordinary People" it was written in the late'70s, and it's about grief, mental illness and feelings of guilt. I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it's beautifully written, I recommend it if you come across it.

At the moment I'm reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" as well a biography of Beethoven called "The Relentless Revolutionary". He was a musician with a lot of artistic and political conviction, and it shows when you look at his opera "Fidelio" and listen to the Eroica symphony, although I'm not all that fond of that symphony because it's about victory being a happy ending, and I don't believe all victories are happy ones.

@frog wrote:

Hey @NatureLover good to see you here!

I've just reserved Just an Ordinary Family at my local Library. Sounds like my kind of story.

This made me smile... I would be interested to hear what you think. 🙂
@frog 

@Abner wrote:
One of my favourite books is one called "Ordinary People" it was written in the late'70s, and it's about grief, mental illness and feelings of guilt. I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it's beautifully written, I recommend it if you come across it.

Hi @Abner , I just googled and found Ordinary People by Judith Guest, published 1976...would that be it? It sounds interesting, I will try to get hold of a copy. Thanks!

I liked Where the Crawdads Sing. What do you think of it?

It sounds like you're reading two books at once...I can't manage that 🙂

Me too @Abner re Ordinary People.

I read it when I was in my teens.

It probably saved my life.I felt like I wasn't alone in my struggles.

Even though it's fiction, the fact that a young character like Conrad existed meant that someone got it.

I just came across this great thread, thanks for starting it @Denv12!

I love to read. My favourite genres are:

- YA

- LGBTQ+

- Mental health

- Memoir

- Graphic novels

- Historical fiction 

- Low fantasy

Also @BlueBay, I know your post was from a while ago, but if you're still interested in autobiographies/memoirs and books on mental health, you might enjoy:

- The Stranger on the Bridge by Jonny Benjamin

- 10 Things I Hate About Me by Joe Tracini (BPD)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance