Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: LGBTI folk

Hi @MoonGal,

Yes! We are trying to talk about the recognition of equal love here. The more we acknowledge those that hate, the more they steal your energy. Just ignore the haters!

"Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible — it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could." — Barbara de Angelis

Hey @MoonGal, thanks for your reply about the superannuation. I am with a government employees super fund. It has pretty low fees and reasonable returns really. I didn't want to change, but may have to I'm afraid. They also don't recognise my change of name, when all my identification now reflects a change of name, but my super fund will not allow me to change my name. They seem incredibly archaic in their policies! I lodged a complaint with the superannuation complaints tribunal and will await their response. 

@Queenie, the ads are appalling. Apparently the government has said that it's willing to put rules around advertising (like we have with elections) but not until after the High Court says the survey can go ahead. That makes no sense to me at all.

The ads are also smart - using for example an Asian looking woman with an accent - research says that recent immigrant communities are most likely to vote no and could be critical to the outcome. 

On a better note, the support in this thread is amazing - thank you all Heart Power and strength to us!

@Queenie - I have just remembered a raft of non discrimination passed by the Labor Government under Rudd or Gillard - I think you need to speak to the ombudsman as the Super company may be in breach of legislation. Hope you get help on this and joy in the end.

"Although your relationship may not be equal under the laws of marriage, and in the eyes of some parliamentarians and a minority of Australians, your relationship is definitely considered legitimate and equal, in terms of your superannuation entitlements"

https://www.superguide.com.au/boost-your-superannuation/same-sex-couples-your-super-rights-explained

Thank you @MoonGal, might just prove helpful in my fight!

No worries, sorry Briar for hijacking thread. But can;t PM here.

Back to the main game.

Marriage Equality because It is simple really.

BTW - I said I married my partner 9 years ago - we have been together 25 years this year. Now in anyone's book that is a commitment of love. I am SO looking forward to registering our marriage when the law changes and we are thinking of having another 'reception'. Whoo Hoo! I must slim down to get back into my wedding clothes.

You didn't hijack it @MoonGal lol - If I knew anything at all about superannuation, I would have chimed in. 

At the risk of over-intellectualising, which is a weakness of mine, that's why marriage equality is not just about 'love is love' - like yes it is, but it's also about super and medical consent and insurance and a whole lot of other real practical issues. 

25 years is fn amazing! Congrats and tell that story loud 🙂 So good.

@Queenie,

Don't let the haters get you down! Just flick the channel. Smiley Very Happy

I wish it were that simple @Vanessa5. I was walking through the city today holding my Mrs' hand and copped abuse from a group of people handing out NO flyers. All I was doing was walking past and not inciting anything. People simply don't have respect for others!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance