Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Crime shows primarly British but not all talk space

@The-red-centaur wrote:
I'm not much into crime shows. But british shows are so much better than American. I love the movie Hot Fuzz. Such a good take on county police lol.

Frost & Pegg are like Midas - everything they touch is gold. Smiley Very Happy

@chibam I had to google what that word meant. But YES. They're brilliant.

@WIP The new midsommers are not as good as they used to be. The original ones have quite dated production values now, but are still much better stories. Season I is on Prime at the moment.

@chibam I have all the Morse on DVD and despite the outdated production values the stories are great because they are quite close to the books. I have also read the books. Lewis is ok, but I LOVE Endeavour. George Gently is also one I can watch over and over again.

@greenpea Line of Duty is on Netflix, as is Shetland (Scottish) and Hinterland (Welsh). Line of Duty is Action packed and but the other two are slow-burn, my partner thinks they're boring. Also on Netflix "The Fall" which goes over 2 or 3 seasons - long and complicated.

SBS on demand have a great selection of Nordic Noir if you like them and ABC Iview is what I use to watch a lot of the UK stuff at a time that suits me, not the networks.

S x

@SJT63  SJT63 I will have to branch out into Netflix.  ABC I View and SBS On Demand sound like a great idea. I wll definately have a look into them. Thanks for the heads up. xxx

@SJT63Yes, I agree, Morse has aged very well. Even the extremely dated forensics and referances to computers aren't very disruptive because the stories flow so well, even with contemporary viewing.

Still, I like Lewis a bit better. I think Lewis is a bit easier to take because in the background, he is always gradually drifting closer to his ultimate happy ending with Hobson; whereas Morse's story is ultimately very lonely and tragic. I also like the power balance in Lewis, which Morse doesn't have.

Morse rules the roost in his series. He has all the book smarts and dective wisdom, and Lewis is almost always his poor browbeaten inferior in the vast majority of matters. But in Lewis there is a nice balance between Lewis himself and Hathaway. Lewis brings all the world wisdom and detective experiance to the table, whereas Hathaway's book smarts are constantly invaluable. Their a much more satisfying partnership IMHO, and they enjoy each other much more then the strained relationship between Morse and Lewis.

@chibam  have you seen Endeavour?

@SJT63I've watched them up until the point...

(spoilers!)

...where Morse and Thursday's daughter get caught up in the bank robbery together and then Thursday's daughter skips town in the aftermath.

After that, I guess I sort of lost my appetite for the show, especially knowing how Morse's life must inevitably end up in the series. Once a show racks up a bit of those painful breakup-type scenarios, they tend to get a bit much for me. Same reason why I dropped out of Dr. Who a while back. Sure, there's a lot of really good straightforward scifi content, but then you are also fairly regularly pummelled with a heartbreaking episode where the Doctor and his beloved companion part ways. It just got too much for me.

@chibam yeah the Morse/Joan (series 3) thing got out of control, then the Joan/Fred/Win (series 4) thing was even stupider. (and yes I know that's not a word), but it got better again. Series 5 & 6 are worth a look but 7 gave me the poops again. I watch it for the nostalgia as much as anything else, same reason I watch George Gently over and over. I love a man in a trilby.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance