Skip to main content

Re: 8 Dimensions of Wellness

@Shaz51 

Sorry I've taken so long to reply.

Another interesting and important topic. So easy to either suppress emotions or let them rule. I've certainly spent years not maintaining a healthy balance. But I've been fortunate to have the opportunities to 'get my sh*t together' and find some equilibrium.

For me, the social connection thing is important- on many levels, I've convinced myself that I prefer my own company. But the longer I live, the more I see that as incorrect and unhealthy overall.

Finding places like this forum helps make life better 🙂

Hi @Shaz51 and all the others.

Could be one of my fave dimensions. I love learning new stuff, so curiosity fullfilling but also stimulating.

I have started to watch some Standford Uni and UCLA uni lectures. Some are over 10 years old but still learning a lot. I am sure I will find many more Universities around the world posted some good lectures, so that is just the beginning. I do not want the qualifications and even less the assignments' stress but I love the learning and exposure to new ideas.

Slowly progressing through Behavioral Biology, very cool stuff in it.

I am also interested in memory palaces to improve my memory after reading Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly. To be honest, that will require somewaht more work from me but I am keen to have a go and explore

@Historylover 

I loved hearing your story. You wrote it so beautifully. I can imagine the misery you had with that instrument as a child. I was fortunate to go to schools where they offered music lessons for free, so I got to learn piano, guitar and violin. Guitar was my favourite because the teacher was so nice. I persevered with the piano lessons but I never got any good because I didn't have a piano at home to practice. The piano teacher was nasty and would hit my fingers every time I played the wrong key. They were ouchy lessons that I can laugh about now. 

Interestingly @Scoo, I don't think I even have musical ability!  You have to love anything to become good at it, I think.  I love music - classical etc. - but only to listen to.  I can't sing a note either.  Fortunately others can and can do it so well.  I like to think music teachers are very different these days. I think the law requires it!

Today we move on to our next topic Social Wellness

social%20wellness%207.jpg

Social wellness can be defined as being able to interact positively with people around us. It involves using good communication skills, having meaningful relationships, respecting oneself and others, and having a support system of friends and family.

Human beings are social creatures.Our relationships can offer support during difficult times. Social wellness involves building healthy, nurturing and supportive relationships as well as fostering a genuine connection with those around you. Our connection to others enables us to survive and thrive. Research has shown that people who do have healthy relationships and good support systems have better overall mood, deal better with stress and actually have increased self-esteem. Social relationships have just as much impact on physical well – being as other wellness factors, such as, physical activity, overweight / obesity, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, heart disease and smoking.

social-wellness-14.jpg

It is important to practice and participate in social wellness through all stages of life in order to develop and maintain healthy relationships and friendships. Social isolation and loneliness have been identified as a growing, legitimate health concern and they are risk factors for poor aging outcomes, subsequently there have been initiatives that encourage seniors to participate in activities which keep them physically and emotionally well. These include doing things that keep them socially connected to others and in community. Today, social wellness can be more and more difficult to achieve due to technology and social media. However, it is vital we give social wellness positive attention.

A more detailed definition of social wellness I came across included:

Development of assertiveness skills not passive or aggressive ones.
Balancing social and personal time.
The ability to be who you are in all situations.
Becoming engaged with other people in your community.
Valuing diversity and treat others with respect.
Continually being able to maintain and develop friendships and social networks.
The ability to create boundaries within relationship boundaries that encourage communication, trust and conflict management.
Remembering to have fun.

• Communicating clearly helps you manage your time and your life, to feel good about yourself, and to build trustworthy relationships with others. This involves:

Listening to one another: in a non-judgmental way and value each other’s opinions. Respect also involves attempting to understand and affirm the other’s emotions.

Being open: Don’t assume something is happening for someone else or wait for others to try to guess what is going on with you. Learn how to express your needs in a non-demanding way.

Maintaining your own identity: In a healthy relationship, both parties need to make compromises. But that doesn’t mean you should feel like you’re losing out on being yourself. Neither of you should have to pretend to like something you don’t or give up seeing your friends, or drop out of activities that you love. You should feel free to keep developing new talents or interests, making new friends, and moving forward with your life.

Being honest and trustworthy: Honesty goes hand in hand with trust. It is almost impossible to trust someone when one of you isn’t being honest.

Being supportive: In a healthy relationship, friends are there with a shoulder to cry on but also to celebrate the good times. People in healthy relationships try not to judge, criticize or blame each other because we are all human and capable of making mistakes.

@Historylover@Scoo@Elac@StuF@JungleGiants @Dimity@Olga@BPDSurvivor@HenryX@Sophia1@Sophie1@Emelia8@Bellarose75@jem80@Owlunar@BlueBay@oceangirl@MDT@TAB@Determined@Smc@Daisydreamer@Faith-and-Hope@Appleblossom@eth@Mazarita@Adge@rivergal@Peri@NatureLover@Schitzo@Kurra@Jacques@wellwellwellnez@ShiningStar@SmilingGecko@cloudcore@Flax@Fee1@Fluttershy1@Angels333@Sans911@outlander@Snowie@Fizz@Oaktree@FindingStrength@Clawde@Corny@Bezak482 

@ShiningStar
hey i didn't realise you had replied again from earlier
by silly thing i was refering to my old job. It's silly that it had to be the way it was, that it affected us. The job itself didn't demand that, or at least should not demand that. But it was made that way by so many working there. I think this is what I meant but i can't recall precisely

Hi @Shaz51 social wellness is a dimension I miss out on even outside of lockdown.  To see people face to face and interact in the same time and space seems a dream atm. 

yes totally understand @Dimity  and sending you hugs as my mr shaz is the same  being bipolar , he does not like crowds , shopping , social outings, meeting people 

but it is good to see you here 

Thanks @Shaz51 not sure it's a bipolar thing.. I've had people ask if I have a bit of ASD. But not driving makes it hard to get out. It's something I've asked my therapist for help with.

@Shaz51 
Social wellness is Huge. Pre-lockdown I was going ok- I kept in regular WhatsApp/text contact with people and caught up in person every week or two. Since lockdown, obviously seeing people is not on the cards, so that sucks, but hey. I have my (relative) health and am fortunate to actually get on with my parents very well- handy since we live in the same house!

So I think I do well on the wellness scale in general. One aspect that is not great is the lack of an 'intimate' partner- girlfriend. I haven't been in an relationship since 1999. I like to joke that I haven't had a girlfriend this Millenium! lol

So I'd like to fix that. After lockdown I'll see if I can make progress...

But still, lucky enough to have great friends and family, so I ain't whinging too loud 🙂