Skip to main content

Re: 8 Dimensions of Wellness

thank you @Shaz51 after a few days of stress,oversleeping,undersleeping and undereating my stress levels have eased and am taking a different perspective on things ,trying to just reflect a bit but not dwell on what happend and how ect I do feel clear headed at the momment its taken time to relax again but definetly much better feelings than even last night as I and a few other forums where awake last night at the same time roughly must be a few of us had trouble sleeping ect but that was making me feel less alone thanks for the support Heart

Today we move onto our next topic of intellectual wellness.

intellectual%20wellness%201.jpg

intellectual-wellness-final-6-638.jpg

Intellectual wellness is defined as recognizing one's creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills. It refers to active participation in scholastic, cultural, and community activities.

This is a component of wellness that I had not really heard about in great detail previously.               Occasionally on tv mention is made about research shows that exercise for the mind is important as exercise for the body and in particular regarding the link between doing mind games and improving and/or delaying cognitive decline.

It is important to gain and maintain intellectual wellness because it expands knowledge and skills in order to live a stimulating, successful life. In order to improve intellectual wellness, it is important to value creativity, curiosity, and lifelong learning. It is in essence to:
               Expand one’s ability to create, develop, analyse, critique, concentrate, understand, evaluate, problem solve, predict, comprehend, etc.
                   Feel competent in intellectual and academic activities by improving skills in academics, studying, time management, stress management, note taking, listening, and public speaking.
Strive to be open to new experiences and ideas in all areas of life

What are Some ways of increasing intellectual wellness 

Playing “brain games”. Research suggests that cognitive decline may be prevented, slowed, or perhaps reversed in aging adults who are frequently engaged in creative, challenging, and cognitively stimulating activities such as computer games, reading, and crossword puzzles.

Experiencing the arts. A study showed that people with 100 or more hours per year of arts engagement (i.e. at least 2hrs per week) had significantly better mental wellbeing than those with none or lower levels of engagement. For the purpose of the study, ‘Arts engagement’ was defined as the art people do as part of their everyday lives for enjoyment, entertainment or as a hobby (i.e. recreational arts rather than art therapy) such as singing, painting, dancing, reading a novel, playing an instrument.

Doing crafts like knitting and crochet. A study found that those who engaged in crafts like knitting and crocheting had a diminished chance of developing mild cognitive impairment and memory loss.

Although it is possible that only people who are cognitively healthy would pursue such activities, those who read newspapers or magazines or played music did not show similar benefits.

Attending lectures in person or online.

If you would prefer to pursue more scholastic knowledge without attending college courses, consider open lectures. Universities and libraries often offer free lectures on various subjects. From history to gardening, the subjects are vast. Furthermore, the lectures are most often provided by professors, or individuals who have honed their craft.

Playing a musical instrument. Music has a powerful impact on our minds. Playing a musical instrument can increase intellectual wellness by learning how to create sounds, make patterns, and emote through music.

Learning a new language. Learning a foreign language can be beneficial to your intellectual health and your employment prospects. When learning different ways to communicate, your mind expands. This not only helps with being receptive to new knowledge, but also helps broaden information already learned.

Improving skills for studying. Learning new things about the way your mind processes information can be a vital tool to helping you succeed.

Intellectual wellness is intertwined with the other dimensions of wellness and can impact upon them.

Looking at the areas we have already discussed, learning new things can help us understand our environment better, find enjoyable ways of improving our physical health and learning new things can lead to opportunity to both occupational financial wellness either by helping you get a job, doing our work better, helping us get a promotion/pay rise or learning better ways to manage one's income.

When I think of intellectual wellness on a personal level the saying “use it or lose it” comes to mind. I must admit in the last few years that this is one aspect of my life that has taken a bit of a hit.

How are you faring with this dimension.?

@LostAngel, @ShiningStar@StuF@Clawde@Determined@Smc@Elac@Anastasia , @Former-Member , @Peri@Emelia8@Appleblossom@Owlunar@Faith-and-Hope@Fizz , @Former-Member , @Dimity@Olga@Zoe7@Eve7@NatureLover@Scoo@TAB@Lee82@Bellarose75@Meowmy@frog@Schitzo@MySunrise@Teej@Snowie@outlander@Sans911@HenryX@oceangirl@utopia@Jacques@BPDSurvivor@Sophia1@Sophie1@BlueBay@Bezak482@tilly22@Historylover@jem80@cloudcore@wellwellwellnez@Krishna@Kurra@eth@Mazarita@Exoplanet@FindingStrength@Adge@Ant7  @MDT 

intellectual-wellness-7.jpg

intellectual%20wellness%20keep%20calm.jpg

intellectual-wellness-%209.jpg

@Judi9877@TheVorticon@The-red-centaur@Boo13@Fluttershy1@Bow@Powderfinger@Corny@Carlachris@Judus , @Former-Member , @Daisydreamer , @Former-Member , @YouAreNotAlone , @Former-Member , @TideisTurning@ArraDreaming@Bill16@Silenus@Gwynn@Killie1980@Oaktree 

This is a really cool idea @Shaz51

Intellectual wellness is an important topic and I never actually thought of it in the context of wellbeing

Some examples that come to mind about intellectual wellness and the things you have said here relate to my own life.

My choice to go back to uni and study something unrelated to my undergrad was a challenge. I've learnt a chuck of stuff that I otherwise would not have got into and I think I've actually improved my mental wellbeing as a result of it. The course itself has not been taught well but owing to what you have posted here I have a new outlook on it I think. I've learnt new stuff - that's good in its own right isnt it ? It opens up avenues to go in. More open doors than closed ones are the best.

I have recently been listening to a lot of BIll evans. I appreciate his jazz piano. I never learnt piano but I did an instrument in school and had good times with that. Anything that takes me back to it is good. I sometimes listen to trombone music on youtube (the instrument I played at school) as a way of kind of replaying it. It's hard to pick up again because of the noise it creates for neighbours lol. But I also like it as its a way of reliving memories from school which have a fond connotation

I also think its good to join forums and talk about philosophy and culture which I have done both in person and online.

Good post @Shaz51

I also started collected lego sets that don't exist anymore. I recently purchased one and made it up.
Cool to have something that is limited and not being made anymore I think

Hello @Shaz51 & everyone. Thanks so much for including me in this talk.

I am aware of these things that I need to do, but I struggle to do them for various reasons. 6 years I spent isolating myself and doing nothing due to my Major Depression. So all motivation was gone. Now that I am in full remission for a year now (yay, go me!!!) and no longer have any depressive symptoms due to my miracle medication, I find that I still lack motivation most days, but I do try to push through that. My Depression and 2 strokes have seriously damaged my memory and also my ability to study and learn new things. The way I used to learn, through reading, looking at instructions, listening, they no longer work, and Im not sure how I can learn any more.

Volunteering in local community is all good. Problem is in my small town, charities are run by very conservative, gossipy, religious, non compassionate people, who don't want any feedback or new ideas. They just want you to do the grunt work. No further participation needed. So it is not actually condusive to creating friendships. The bigger towns around the area, have more volunteering charities and appear a lot friendlier. But then when you are struggling with money, putting in petrol for over a 100km trip return, is just not feasiable.

Do what you are good at. Easy. No. I lost my interests during those years with depression. I wanted to start new interests, ballroom dancing and yoga, but Covid has shut that down.

I dont have any artistic ability. I can knit basic. And I used to knit when I had problems with my mild anxiety. It helped me to focus on something else. But i want to keep it as a tool for anxiety. Not for everuday use. And there is only so many squares or scalfs you can create. So I struggle because nothing intetests me. No learning an instrument or language. And to have inface learning, I need to drive to those big towns. Expensive and we are in Lockdown in Victoria again.

I have joined an online Mindfulness class. It is 31 day practice and instructions and interviews. I put money aside to join it and it wasnt overly expensive. I am really enjoying this and think it will really help me with my issues to learn how to deal with my emotions in a normal healthy way.

I do watch an occassional intetview via the internet if it is on something I like.

Didn't mean to make my answer so negative. I could have just put, I struggle with this. Lol.

I would love to make a meaningful response to your, as always, supportive posts to all of us @Shaz51, but words may not flow easily today.  I am feeling my situation is getting the better of me.  I could take medication but my situation will be unchanged by it, and having to get myself out of bed in the morning when I feel that I am part of it is not something I look forward to.  If only there was medication for my situation.  I have been unable to reply to your other post @Owlunar.  As @chibam said recently - sometimes we just run out of steam and need a break from it all.

As for intellectual wellness @Shaz51 - I find there is little to compare to taking on a previously considered too-hard topic and making more progress than we could have expected. I find there are no better teachers than ourselves, personally.  We know how to find the best instructor - youtube has an abundance, on any subject of interest - just find the one/s you click with and take it from there.  Nothing succeeds like success - as they say.  It doesn't have to be for a particular purpose - just for the exhiliaration of taking on a new challenge.  

Is anyone doing study at the moment?  Please tell us what you are doing and how you are finding your progress.  Have you done previous study since leaving school/university?  Changed directions, subjects?  Found the experience rewarding?

Personally I like to take a break from time to time - and some lengthy ones, some in different directions, then get back to it with renewed vigour when I am again stirred.  We get bogged down sometimes.

Would love to hear from you.  Sending best wishes and much intellectual wellness to all.Heart

@MDT 

Smiley Happy Go you, Mr. Trombone-player!!

Heyy @Historylover
Good to see ya

sending you understanding hugs @Historylover@utopia@MDT Heart

i have let this down in my life i am sorry to say 

when looking after family and ourselves other things tend to be pushed on to the back burner 

soo much i have not done for years  and trying to involve things back in our lives will take time 

I play words with friends with is a scrabble kind of game on the computer 

way to go @MDT Smiley Very Happy