Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

-Rayne-
Senior Contributor

pet rental anxiety

I so hate renting. For the last two years our dog has been with the kids and my parents. Now the kids need to leave there so I've taken the dog. I tried to get a pet-friendly rental but gave up after about a dozen applications. So now I'm in an apartment with a no-pets clause. I'm kind of freaking out. I know people do this all the time but for some reason it's making me massively anxious. She's picking up on my feeling I think and is really on edge (plus just being generally unsettled because of the move). She wouldn't let me leave the house today. Every time I tried, she cried and barked, and I can't let her do that because someone will hear, so I had to come back. She seems fine when I'm here. A bit sleepier than usual. I really need to be able to leave her and have her stay quiet though. I don't know what to do Smiley Sad

My mother, of course, has offered to take her back there, even though she's too much for them to handle. It's a way to control me though so I've said no, but afraid I might have to let her take her after all... then I'll have to visit all the time and pay for everything she decides the dog needs. Everything's a mess, especially my head.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: pet rental anxiety

Hello @-Rayne-,

Sorry to hear you are feeling quite stressed and anxious about your new place not being pet friendly. It can be a big adjustment moving for pets so perhaps it will just take a few days before they settle and get used to the new place. Are you able to take your dog for a big walk so you can both get out of the house and see the new area?

I can understand how frustrating renting is with these pet rules, so many people have them and the house is left undamaged. It's good you have taken back your dog back, I'm guessing your dog is wanting to spend lots of time with you because you have been apart the last couple of years 🙂

Thanks @Lunar, I gave in. I'm taking her back to Sydney today. She adjusting and I'm sure in time she'll settle but whenever I'm not home, I'll be worrying that some noise will make her bark. The walls seem quite thin so even if she makes a whimper, it sounds really loud in the corridor outside my apartment. I can't work or concentrate on anything so it's just not going to work. I tried Smiley Sad

I'll pay a dog-walker and my son will visit her weekly for a welfare-check. (One problem with her being at my parents is they don't take good care of her).

That's understandable @-Rayne- if it is causing you to stress and worry then that's the best decision you can make at the moment. Like you said, you did try and good that you have your son to do a welfare check on her and a dog walker to take her for walks 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

@-Rayne-

i'm sorry 😞 that's so sad! it's really ahrd when we can't have our animals with us, and your situation sounds even more complex which is terrible. I'm glad your son can go over at least to check on her so that you don't have to as much.

LJ

Sad that it's in the Human Rights Act of Geneva or wherever our rights are from, to own a pet, yet some people have no respect for pets and owners!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance