Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: how to show care and support for my friend with PTSD

I believe there are many ways for friendship and connection "to grow" and "to be".  It is good that you are dealing with the relationship with your psychologist.  Ethics and boundaries are important in all relationships and I guess the uniqueness of this relationship will shift and change.  Being older in a relationship also needs consideration.

I never used the phrase "having feelings" for someone meaning just sexual attraction.  I have had various feelings in different situations, with family and non family. So I think there are many forms of attraction.  

Balancing our time, level of commitment and feelings in different relationships is difficult, a challenge but also a joy in life.

Heart @NatalieS

I agree, @Appleblossom, ethics and boundaries are important in any relationship, and our (Andrew and my) relationship does indeed shift and change.  We both speak openly about our feelings and expectations and boundaries with each other.  I often tell Andrew I would not knowingly hurt him -especially emotionally - and I understand I will be in the background, or out of the picture, when he meets that special person and starts a family. I realise our relationship will be different.  We have discussed this.   He affectionately tells me that I can be the dotty aunt to the children.  Because of his traumatic childhood, and because of his personality, I think he would be an amazing dad. I remind him I care about him without conditions attached.  My light bulb moment was when I realised I wasn't able to help or care for myself during my childhood (fear,shame, voiceless, guilt) but am able to care for someone now.  And alot of that is because he is so much like me, not that I'm wanting to rescue or save him, but he is a good person with a good heart. And I remind him that we get different things from different people, no one person can entirely satisfy another's wants and needs and happiness.  HeartHeart

******THANKS EVERYONE, THIS TOPIC CAN BE CLOSED NOW******

Thankyou everyone for your comments.  Thanks for reading.

I've been processing a lot of stuff and our relationship continues to evolve.

HeartHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance