Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Working a program...finally!

Hello to whoever is reading this right now. 🙂

I was searching online for some supportive forums and came across this one. I am a 36 year old female who has struggled for years with mental illness. I was first diagnosed with bi-polar disorder at the age of 18, to the most recent diagnosis of having BPD. I have been doing a lot of work, and was interested to see what others have found to be helpful in managing the disease.

It’s almost like I have lived a total of six lives up until now. It’s been tiring, emotionally exhausting, and extremely unsettling to say the least. I guess I finally reached a point where enough was enough. I like to say I was given the gift of desperation. I just couldn’t continue living on the perpetual hamster wheel that seemed to have no end in sight. I finally made a decision to try something different, to do things differently.  I always knew that I had a conscious, and would like to say had great awareness of right from wrong. I just didn’t care! It was my life and I was going to do whatever I wanted and felt, even if it was at the expense of creating complete and utter chaos in someone else’s life.

I understood that liquor was the gasoline that ignited the inferno of madness, so I quickly gave up booze.  I started to go to AA daily, and little by little my obsessions with substances were lifted. I LOVED to numb myself; it was the easiest thing to do, especially when I was in so much pain. Of course I got a sponsor and really started working the program. Next up was DBT therapy; I was blessed to find a group that was offered locally where I live. I started exercising daily which helps me to better deal with the daily stress and anxiety. I almost forgot, for the first time in ever, I am on medicine without drinking. I’m keeping up with my doctor’s appointments. J  Church is also helpful, as is reading and journaling, I do whatever I can with whatever I got.

I would like to think that I’m in a better place, and don’t get me wrong the hard work IS paying off. I just feel like my relationships while dating is always going to be rough. I do currently have a boyfriend and he is very supportive of my recovery and my BPD. I just feel sometimes that I am unable to give him what he needs and deserves, especially as I work on myself and getting better.  I am really struggling with the fact that a relationship may not be what I need right now. Did I mention I am a single mother of 12 year old twins! I do have my hands full, but I like most of the people in the world, want so badly to have a meaningful healthy relationship with someone I love. Would love to hear from you…..

1 REPLY 1

Re: Working a program...finally!

Hi. And welcome. Sorry but your name didn't come up on your post.
well done! You have done a heap of hard work in looking afted your health and ut does sound like it's paying off.
Yes, lonliness is hard. I'm a single mum too - a 14 year old. Yes it would be nice to have a partner in my life.
I guess you need to work out if you can have both. Work in on yourself and having a boyfriend.
Have you discussed it with your boyfriend? Talked about how you feel you can't give any more to the relationship as you are currently doing - as your energy is needed for your recovery? What has he said about this?
Maybe it's also something that you can bring up with your therapist.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance