Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

What do you do? Tips/concentration

When you are an avid reader and it helps with your depression and anxiety but you are in the middle of medication change over and can't concentrate or sleep? Does anyone have any tips. My concentration has gone. I guess I should talk to my doctor about it. But just a quick post on what works for others when they are not able to concentrate on the things they like doing.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What do you do? Tips/concentration

Read things you have previously read and know well, or take up watching movies (during the day) and music/meditation at night. And remember that it's only temporary and you'll get your concentration and sleep back again.

Thank you.

I was starting again with the penguin little black classics but no luck.I really needed to hear that it's temporary.

That's the great thing about the brain - it's capacity to heal itself and adapt to changes. There is this really good book called 'the brain that changes itself' that talks about the adaptability of the brain. (when your concentration is better of course 😊)

I bought that a few years ago. Not sure where it went. But thank you @Former-Member It bothers me that I am not able to do so now.

Make sure the medication is right and agreeing with you.Should it be affecting you in this way?

hello

I love my reading, i can lose myself in a great book.

when i cant focus, blurry vision, lack of motivation, I try to get outside. Look at the sky, the lighting inside of our homes, workplaces, shops etc etc plays havoc with our eyes and even our minds.

i look at the clouds if there are any. i look at the trees, listen to the birds, notice any breeze or wind. i smell the air, walk when i can. i notice all of the animals. i talk to the animals.

some people would say this is mindfulness. to me it is and always has been a part of who i am.

so - a change of scenery, a change of air, a change of sounds works for me.

keep searching you will find what works for you.

This months National Geographic has a cover story on the "healing power of faith" I bought it. Seems very similar to that book. 

"You're not just what you eat, or do, or think. You are what you believe. Mind over matter" 

It goes into the brain/ deep brain stimulation and the placebo effect etc. It also explores religion. Hence the cover. Sounds like you are interested in that type o thing so you might want to read. Thats from a quick browse.

Saw my gp. He said to give the medication a few more weeks to see how I go. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance