Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Treatment for OCD

I can relate to your problem as I'm recovering from OCD.When I want to explain what OCD feels like I just tell them to think about how a computer virus takes over a computer.It stops us doing things we want and have to do and makes us things we dont want to do.Each of have this program in our heads that dictates everything.

I found a way to deal with it and make some progress.I use pressure points to deal with it.It does me the world of good.

I understand what you're going through with rituals and so on.You could shock me there.

Chris.

Thanks for the reply Denv12 - I like your computer analogy. Insight SBS 8:30pm tonight is discussing OCD. I'll be watching.

Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks Howard.

I just found a way to explain it to people so that most people might relate to it.

I watch the odd tv show on it.

Chris.

Hi @Denv12 & @Tim_H (long time no hear, hope you are ok)

I just found this via Twitter about being more than one's diagnosis and thought you might be interested. It is specifically about OCD (as is the blog) but I suspect they would be very happy for others to post as well. 

I think this is definitely a forum participant view - generally speaking - that we are more than our diagnosis.

@NikNik is there any reason why we couldn't start a "more than my diagnosis" thread and post our own picture as long as there's no other identifying info?

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hi @kristin,

@NikNik is not around tonight so I thought I'd answer your question if you don't mind. While I can see great value in #MoreThanMyDiagnosis, posting images of yourself would reveal your identity which conflicts with our community guidelines about anonymity. 

That said, I think it would be great for members post signs and pictures that symbolise themselves as long as members can't be identified. @NikNik any thoughts on this?

Absolutely @kristin 

Did you have any ideas on how you would like this to happen? Just a usual thread and letting us all upload our (unindentifying) pictures?

Where do you think it would best fit - in the 'Looking after our wellbeing' discussion topic?

Nik

My partner has extreme OCD. We have been together, living together for 7 years now. It took me at least 4-5 years to even start to comprehend how serious her disease was and how much was involved. It has only been the last couple of years where I feel like I now have a proper comprehension ( from an outsiders point of view) of what, and how much she is actually going through. I feel terrible about my I patients with her disease. And I know my friends and family just think OCD is all about being a "neat freak". You always hear people say - oh yeah I've got OCD, or "my mum or my friend is OCD". But really for the most part, these people are way way way off the mark of what a severe OCD sufferer is going through. I currently have cancer now, and am receiving chemotherapy for stage 4 aggressive non hodgnkins lymphoma... My partners world is still worse off than mine having OCD, and all Hough she is supposed to be my full time carer, I am still hers.. My partner hasn't worked for years now, and barely gets past breakfast each and every day.. It's easiest for her to sleep as long as possible to ensure her day and the torture of her disease is as short as possible. I have for years now been both the man and the woman in our relationship, where I work and pay all the bills, but I also do ALL of the cooking, cleaning, washing and housework to keep our life moving forward. OCD has taken over every single aspect of every single part of her life and it is complete torture. I have taken many years to understand to complexity and depth of her disease and it's far far from over, but I still believe there is some hope. I do know for certain that most people just do not understand what OCD actually is like for the sufferer.. My heart goes out to ALL OCD sufferers.. It is a very lonely disease, but know that there are people out there who do truely care 😀
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance