Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

R1CK13
Contributor

Self blame

My baby has had nothing but problems from the start. She is a good kid, only 3 weeks old, but has had medical problems since birth and i cant help but blame myself for her suffering. No matter how much people keep telling me its not my fault and there is nothing i could have done to prevent it, i still feel like it is my fault. I feel like a failure as a parent because i cant give her even the basic "perfect" start to life...
3 REPLIES 3
Alone
Senior Contributor

Re: Self blame

Hi R1ck,

3 weeks! thats still a brand new baby, congratulations 🙂   The best start any parent can give their child is a loving, caring parent and it sounds like you are doing that perfectly.  I can only imagine how tough and emotional it must be to have a little one that isn't well, my heart goes out to you.

esprit
Senior Contributor

Sounds like your already a good parent. Mine are teenaged and I still feel like that and worry and second guess everything. All you can do is your best in what you know how at the time and learn as you go. Congratulations on your baby. It's the most beautiful time but exhausting and scary. Best wishes to you and your family xx

I was like that with my first childbirth, blamed myself for it not being a totally natural birth.  Gradually, as the day to day rolls on ... we realise that the great privilege of parenting is also a testament to us being human.  Dont be too hard on yourself, with a sick bub, you need every bit of positive energy and kindness for you both.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance