Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: NDIS

Hey @BambiFawn, have a look-see through the threads posted by @Amour_Et_Psyché. They might be able to answer some of the questions you might have. 

BambiFawn
Senior Contributor

Ya there have been times recently where I've been acutely unwell again over my mother's bad texts.  I shall look into it dear lovely @Queenie

Alone
Senior Contributor

Still on the NDIS, does anyone else worry that if we go onto it we will be pushed into things?  

I find a lot of people say they want to help me, but end up trying to take over and get mad at me when I can't just do what they tell me to.   They decide what I need and then try and force me into it.  The PHaMS program I was on, the guy who barely even knew me (3 sessions in, and 2 of them were to sign a form) decided he knew best, tried to force me into something and we ended up in a public argument and he threatened to withdraw all support if I didnt do what he wanted. "If you dont do what I want you to, we wont help you".  Even though I had said from the start that I wasnt interested in tackling that thing.

It happens over and over.

The whole goal setting part of the NDIS is a worry for me. 

That's awful about the PHaMS service you were a part of @Alone! I have a PHaMS support worker and we have a mutual agreement which we sign off on. She treats me as an adult with my own mindset and together we work on goals which I have identified (not them). It seems as though the service you're involved in might be lacking somewhat. My worker knows me even though I only see her for about an hour a week. She takes notes to make sure none of the important stuff is missed. It's a service I find good for keeping me on track with my life goals.

I am not sure what other services I'd be eligible under the NDIS, but it is something my support worker and I will work towards once the NDIS becomes active in my area.

Alone
Senior Contributor

Thanks Queenie, I complained to his manager about what happened and the manager backed up the guy so I said don't come again.

If it was a one off I wouldnt be worried, but I have had so many bad experiences with people trying to take over.  

I have a community care worker who isnt involved with mental health at the moment and he is awesome.  He accepts me for who I am, and has no interest in curing me.  But we dont have goals, we just go shopping.

I dont understand why the NDIS cant just say, "what help do you need that you arent getting now"

Alone
Senior Contributor

I found another workbook that is a lot easier to follow here http://centacarebrisbane.net.au/ndis/helping-become-ndis-ready/  This website even has someone who will come out and talk to you about the ndis and the planning process. 

Hi @Alone, it seems the above link goes wrong at Centacare's end. Not sure what's happened there.

Alone
Senior Contributor

Thanks Queenie, I'm not sure what happened there the link is typed correctly.  I'm meeting with a lady from Centacare on Thursday to discuss preplanning. They are very friendly. 

eth
Community Elder

How's it going @Alone @Queenie @BambiFawn  let me know if I can help at all.  I have a thread on here called 'Anyone started with the NDIS?'  which might be helpful,  otherwise just tag me here.  I now have NDIS funding and it's brought a lot of good change into my life.  On p56 and p57 of that thread there is some info about preparing for your planning meeting that was almost exactly how it went for me.

Hey @eth, I have a few services in place now and have used them regularly. The weird thing is though, in my monthly email from my plan managers they state I have not yet used any funds (which isn't true at all - I've used several thousand). I am guessing invoices have not yet been sent in for payment.

NDIS is good once it is up and running for those who can manage it, as it gives a lot more choice back to the consumer. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance