Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

MONEY (budgetting, downsizing, investing, help)

LETS TALK ABOUT IT, budgetting tips, advice, empathy, investing, overspending addictions, confessions, jokes, help...

I need to downsize already at the bottom of the market, feeling trapped. to manage re health and not sure where to begin.

Thought to start a (anonymous) discussion about money because people in my real world seem to avoid the topic, look at you differently and i fear they are scared off maybe thinking:
- asking them for money
- mismanaging (is that a word and deserve to 'go without')
- should 'just get a job' or sell things
- griping unnecessarily... ...

Besides, its just plain embarrassing
- personal & private
- risky (disclosing)
- upsetting (worrying, a trigger for depression re hopelessness)...

Anyway, I wish I had hubby or sensible family to turn to, but I don't and nobody here can find me so, if I may, I'm gonna open this private part of my life and hope you have some constructive comments (no judgement), and maybe I can offer help for others since I've lived off a shoe string most my life. Just trying to work out where to start...
Budget, Real estate, Saving, Living Simple...
8 REPLIES 8

Re: MONEY (budgetting, downsizing, investing, help)

Oh @Former-Member...... I struggle with this so hard. Living on a budget is very difficult!! I have to rely on my parents some times, it's so embarrassing! I want to move out of home, but cannot afford it. I can barely afford my medical care.
I would start at working out a budget and go from there.......

My looming problem or question is - what are my options when I sell up when I only have $150k left to play with?

It won't buy a house or unit (this ones is 120yo & falling apart and I need to be fairly close to resources re health & loneliness).

MY BUDGETpf (last yr exp broken down)
110 mortgage
40 insurance (home & contents)
90 rates (Land & base water)
40 house reno, tools, help, tradies+
55 electricity & gas
40 phone & internet
(365pf total for house alone).
PERSONAL
100 groceries (min food, cleaning+)
10 dog (vacc, rego, flea, worm)
20 hobbies (needlecraft, garden)
40 scripts, supplements, creams+
25 doctors+ (after rebate)
12 funeral plan
30 church giving
20 gifts inc postage (family,friends)
50 visa payments, bank fees+
(307 total)
CAR (owned but 18yrs old)
30 Rego (car & trailer)
30 Insurance
15 lic, Rd Serv, tolls, penalties
40 petrol, oil
50 maintenance this last yr)
(165 total car) why do I have a car?
_______
= $837 TOTAL if going by last year
That's not inc clothes, outings, extra travels/petrol, treats, trips...

Mean Total Annual Income ÷ 26 = 880
880 - 837 = 43 left (but never is)

AM I NORMAL? Can I do it better?

ANY comments welcome but plz be kind
I already don't smoke, drink, gamble, date...

Hi @Former-Member

This is an area of life I think too little attention is paid to. Matter of fact so much of our culture (?) has become centered on consumption over (or without) value.

---

I will admit I have always been super-organized with my money. I tend to weigh every dollar before I spend it. If I don't feel that I will get more back (in enjoyment or some other thing) than I spend then I don't spend. Even better I have always been a saver. That, in turn, has saved me many times.

My logic: I would like Netflix. It is $10 per month. $120 per year for a movie or two a month (plus data if I go over my allocation). I love movies. Sounds great. Flip it: using my existing PC and TV tuner I can record many shows every day for no extra cost. I can download a great player application that makes the movies look great on my out-of-date but still quality Plasma TV (I inherited). Sure I have to be patient over newer movies but I also get to see some really unexpected things. If I really, really want to go to the movies or see a specific thing (stream it ad-hoc from Windows Store) then I can and still have money in the kitty.

---

Many years ago there was a very expensive financial product on the market that had some great results for the clients who worked it properly. I was given a copy of the paperwork to assess and proof.

Very simply it started with a big ledger where you had to write down every single dollar you spent. Cup of coffee, write it down. Apple, write it down. iPhone app, you got it... 

After a month or two most people were shocked when they compared what went out compared to what went in. This tended to deliver quite different results from the 'assumed' budget they wrote out before the log. Looking at money spent on non-essentials (and this is before scary big phone plans) tended to move people out of "wasting" and into saving. Opinions even revised over debts and even many sundries considered important before.

Initially saving seems a bit pointless as the few dollars barely seem worth having when you could have coffee or a new iPhone. However, after using a savings calculator like this

https://www.ingdirect.com.au/savings/calculators/savings.html 

most people realized that with a little patience there was not only a pile of money that could cover them if things got tight but that the money could start to earn them money (cue Monty Burns saying "excellent"). 

Many clients went on to have pretty tasty portfolios in only a few years. Obviously a lot easier to do that when you have a partner and two decent incomes. BUT a lot can still be achieved by simply establishing the facts and seeing what changes that bring.

Don't worry about finding some program you need to pay for. All you need is a spreadsheet using something like the free Google Docs or Open Office application. Make it pretty for yourself so you have an investment in using it just as those people who paid heavily to get that plan had reason to work it.

I hope that long post helps. And as for judgments, I think that program was great in great part as the clients made all their own judgment and decisions.

🙂

@Fiz I have an app on my phone - moneytrack that helps me keep an eye on my spending. Similar to what you talk about - helps you keep an eye on what you're spending.
But I don't think you have a problem with run-away spending like I do @Former-Member.

OK, thanks guys. As you can see from my budget - I' pretty much know where the moneys goingband can plan, but unexped stuff always comes up. I'm thinking more in terms of the bigger picture, not pussyfootingcaround

- My car, I'm really shocked how much my car has cost this last year. Really think I need to consider having no car. This frightens me as I get older with mobility struggles. I'll be even more housebound then.

- Insurance, the sam if the century, thinking of stopping my home insurance payments - we never see a thing for all that money with rising premiums. Thieves!

Its just rediculous

How do people on NEWSTART cope with a mere 500pf? That wouldn't even cover most rent by oneself.

I'm thinking of investing in a block of land, plop a storage shed & caravan on it for holidays, and go rent a bedsitter, or not.

@Former-Member. A very important discussion topic. And one I am not good with.
Financial struggles can play havoc with our moods and overall health.
Today - I no longer receive any Workcover Payments. So I will go onto Newstart - Parenting Payment fully.
I struggle with the bills all the time. Have never been good with a budget or with saving. And really hate having no money.
But at the same time - I am a smoker and a drinker. I self medicate. And I know I get judged for this behavior.
On one hand, my health and my budget wouldbe better if I gave up both of these things.
On the other hand, the thought of giving them up fills me with dread. Addiction is not logical.
All I can hope for at the moment, is that I am able to find some part time permanent work soon. That will help take the pressure off a little. Just have to wait and see if I can find a job that I can do.

Hi @utopia, increasing ones income with paid work is a benefit. Hope you get it. Tidy ya resume and do some cold canvassing.

I'm selling things and scaling back, retracting I suppose. But selling isn't easy as everyone seems broke.

Just got my electricity bill grr Too scared to open it just yet, bit fragile ATM the slightest thing triggers my 'their all against me' alter. Well, fells like it.

Its started to rain, my oof leaks now, this very old house is the reason I need to move on, but its not easy and moving itself is expensive.

Catch up later xox

@Former-Member. Yes moving is a big expense. And you want to make sure that you don't loose money in the sale & extra expenses.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance