Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LAmour
Contributor

I'm new here

I am here because I have a daughter with BPD, a husband who might, a son with ADD and am dealing with my own anxiety, PTSD and an Eating Disorder. I ended up with the latter two conditions after years of chronic stress from our situation. I checked myself in to a private hospital for respite about 18 months ago. 1. I turn 50 this year. I think I'm in denial. 2. We are building in a rural location and I can't wait to have animals. 3. I NEED to help people.
4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: I'm new here

Hi @LAmour

A warm welcome to SANE. I know all about chronic stress and how it can take it's toll. I have a daughter that has BPD and bi-polar whom is in crisis and a husband with chronic health complaints. Respite would be good - it's not possible for me. 

What are you in denial about? I use to live on a farm with animals - it was a wonderful experience and the community was the warmest I have ever experienced - with its few bad eggs to make things interesting. But it worked. It's exciting to be building a new home and you have much to look forward to, to balance the rest 😊.

I am a volunteer that assists the disadvantaged and it was very fulfilling, but unfortunately looks to be coming to an end. What will be will be. It's good that although you have been through so much stress yourself you still have reserves left over for others. Very special indeed. 

Lunar
Senior Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forums @LAmour, I don't think I have met you before 🙂

It sounds like you have gone through a lot of stress over the years, it's good that you received some respite in hospital when you check yourself in, are you still receiving support currently?

Wow building in a rural location sounds incredibly exciting but also stressful I am assuming, and how lovely that you will be getting some animals. What kind of help do you think you would like to give to people?

Lunar

Hello @LAmour

I often dream of going rural ... may still do it one day

Its difficult dealing with everyone in the family's MH stuff.  Eventually we might have to stop talking about dysfunctional families as most families have MH issues a fair deal of the time.

Take care and hope it helps posting.

I really want to advocate for more/better resources for people suffering with mental illness (and their families). In parts of the country (some you wouldn't expect), resourcing is dreadful, and I aim to raise awareness and try to effect change, albeit potentially small.

I'm quite active in social media spaces (as I work fulltime) and am collaborating with others to lobby pollies. Trying to make mental health top of mind with those who have the power to make real change is important to me. 

On a personal level, I am someone people can talk to with lived experience and carer experience, so I enjoy listening to and supporting others. It energises me.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance