Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MyLilOne
Casual Contributor

Housing and Accommodation Support Partnership (HASP) in SA

Hello,

(South Australia)

I've recently stubbled across a program called HASP for people with a mental health illness who are at risk of or are homeless. It helps provide housing and also mental health support up to 30 hours a week and assistance in relationships, employment and education... Does anyone have any further information on this program or has anyone accessed it?

My understanding is it primarily aimed at 18-65 years olds but the eligability criteria in the information manual suggests younger people may be considered depending oin circumstances.

My 17 year old daughter has been in a really bad place for many months. After leaving my house due to massive relationship issues and safety concerns for younger children 10 months ago, later to be asked to leave her dad's house for the same, she is homeless (couch surfing currently). She is registered with Junction housing and the like. She has continued to see her psychologist at CAMHS and I see her regularly to try and support her as much as I can whilst protecting my own and my other childrens safety.

My goal right now is find her a safe and permanent place to live but she isn't capable of maintaining a relationship long enough in order to house share (I've been through 3 late night/mid week moves) and because she isn't under DCP I can't seem to get her high enough up the priority list for an individual house. She doesn't want to engage in the Ruby's Program and has refused the shared style complexes because she can't handle other people. Her psychologist has written letters supporting her need for housing.

Desperate to get her housed before she reaches the point of the actual gutter. The lack of a stable place to live is just adding to her mental health issues. Unfortunately do not feel I am in the position to take out a lease for her or purchase property to put her in.

Any advice appreciated.

x

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Housing and Accommodation Support Partnership (HASP) in SA

Hi @MyLilOne

Thank you for your post and sharing your situation. I am in a very similar one and would also appreciate any additional information.

My daughter has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and mood disorder, possibly bi-polar. She became aggressive when 16 yrs old and did stay in a refuge and temporary emergency housing for awhile. Fast forward she is 21 yrs old and has regressed again. She is self medicating with drugs. My husband has cancer and other health issues and the stress of her MI and behaviour is taking its toll on us. We need this assistance to as we can no longer live with her. So hopefully someone will have more information.

Hello @MyLilOne

That sounds like an extremely tough position for yourself and your daughter to be in, the other place that came to mind that could perhaps look into helping you and your daughter with that situation is :

Mental Illness Fellowship of South Australia (MIFSA) - (Member of the Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia)
MIFSA Helpline (08) 8378 4100
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
www.mifsa.org
MIFSA Services - one-to-one support, activity programs, carer programs, respite, training, counselling, support groups, community education, a library, and drop in centre.
Assists in providing advice on MIFSA services; information and support (including information & referral about other services available); including housing advice; tips on how best to cope with caller's situation; and can prepare an information kit tailored to specific needs.

Hopefully they can also point you in the right direction as they are based in South Aus?

Kindest,

Lunar

@Lunar Thank you. I will contact them! X
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance