Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

B45
Senior Contributor

Here we go again.

Woke up this morning thinking, "here we go again, another day of feeling uncomfortable where I live".  I live in a beautiful area it's just there are people around who are not so friendly.  I feel a bit vulnerable as I am quiet, reserved and would like to be friendly with everyone.  I've been that way for the last 40 years.  I'm trying to become a stronger personality and be able to handle these "not so friendly types".  I know it takes time to change & there are plenty of positives in my life.  How do I stop these feelings interrupting my transformation.  I so want to show hubby I can change.  I am on meds &  seeing a counsellor.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Here we go again.

Have you tried mindfulness?

Thanks @HellonWheels for your reply.  I do guided meditations daily & work on breathing.  I think I expect too much too soon.  Learning to cope with anxiety takes time particularly when you have behaved the same way for 40 years of your life and you weren't given a great deal of emotional support as a child.  That was then this is now.  I have an anxiety toolbox, I have to face my fears & give myself time.

Do you see a psychiatrist? Do you attend any groups? Do you have private health insurance?

All of these can help, talking and learning skills in a group environment is very helpful and you can certainly learn from others experience's

I have a good cousellor who I see fortnightly. I live in a country area - no groups but down the track I would like to start one.

I've done the psychologist thing but found group and learning skills to be far more helpful.
It's worth looking into, especially if you have private health insurance.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance