Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sunflowers
Casual Contributor

Fiance’s mental health

Hey everyone!

My partner of 3 years has schizophrenia. He was diagnosed before we met, so when getting into a relationship with him, I knew of his condition. 

At the time I was nieve about what it really meant and what challenges I would be taking on. Now I’m more aware of the challenges we will face together. 

This does not put me off my wanting to be in a relationship with him, but gosh sometimes it’s hard and draining.

So many ups and downs, so many uncertainties, so many things to think about. 

No real support from his or mine family in regards to his condition, unfortunately they aren’t too understanding with mental illness. So I’m hoping to find some support within these forums! 

Best wishes everyone.

2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Fiance’s mental health

Hi @sunflowers 👋

Welcome aboard, there are a few of us here supporting our partners with various conditions. 

MI presents challenges to even the most robust of relationships and getting some support can be the difference between managing or not  

My husband had a late onset diagnosis BPii + anxiety + more - things that I never thought I would need to know include having a good understanding of various mental illnesses,  their treatment,  knowing about 'expressed emotion'  and how to deal with it,  knowing how and when to advocate on Mr D's behalf, familiarising myself with our state's mental health act ... the list goes on.  

If you google "mental health carer support" followed by your nearest major centre you should find a bit of information.   There are a number of free services available. 

I will tag you in a couple of threads so you get to 'meet' some others.

Darcy

Re: Fiance’s mental health

Thanks @Former-Member for your reply & thank you for tagging me in the communities. I will follow through with these links now!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance