Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Evie1
Senior Contributor

Fear of food

Can someone help me believe I'm not fat I feel like a fat ugly cow and my weight gain is scary it's making me very angry and upset help me not fear foood 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Fear of food

@Evie1 , do you have professional support in your battle with food? 

I really hope so...best wishes...

@Evie1 

I have been recently looking at my issues through an eating disorder lense and it has helped.  I have not actually been diagnosed, but both sides of my family had severe access to food issues, and it played out in my life.

One way that has been a win situation was keep eating good food.  Nutrition is key and more important than any sense of what you look like or weigh. The images of women in the media are so photo shopped and ridiculous I dont let them influence me.  Cover up in a graceful way,  so many fashions from other countries, can be included to give you a personal style, rather than just the latest from the shops. As I say to myself I keep shovelling in good food, lots leafy vegies etc.  Not sure if helps you.  I have put a bit of weight on but working through it.

Take care Stay safe and stay kind to you.

Hi Evie1,

Although I know objectively that I am not fat, I have felt fat all of my adult life. I think it's very hard, being exposed constantly to women who look perfect on tv, magazines, internet etc.

The more I think about it the worse I feel and nothing changes. I enjoy food, but sometimes when I eat too much or when I eat something that is not great for me, like a whole kouing amann when I am not even that hungry, I feel gross.

What has helped me is exercising often, at least 3 times a week. Nothing major, mainly online fitness videos and walking a lot. This helps me make better choices when I eat, because I don't feel like eating heavy food afterwards. I've also tried to eat nice, homemade meals, with lots of fresh vegetables. This type of food makes me feel full and good.

I don't know what the right answer is, as I said, I still feel fat most of the time, but exercising in moderation and eating tasty, healthy food instead of chocolate has helped a little.

I hope this helps.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance