Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MintyX
Contributor

Depression and being flakey

Does anyone here feel the same way too? Do you find that your depression causes you to become a flakey person?

It's like I would receive social invitations from people every now and then, and I would often find myself accepting those invitations but to end up cancelling on those plans. I am just too lethargic to drag myself out of the house to interact with people.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Depression and being flakey

Hi @MintyX. Yes I know what you mean. I get excited sometimes to be invited out. Then I worry about it for days & by the time outing - Ihave ccompletely talked myself out of going.
When you are depressed you tdnd not to get enough restful sleep. You can also find your mind won't stop - all negative self talk - nothing positive.
These are all signs of depression.
Can I ask you @MintyX - are you on amy medication for depression and if so for how long - because they can take up to / around a month to kick in and work.
Do you see a psychiatrist and / or a psychologist?
Both of mine have helped me alot. My psychiatrist changed my medication.
My psychologist has taught me coping skills to calm myself. Both of these therapists tell me on each session that I'm doing well. And I am. But it's nice to have professionals tell you that they think you'll be fine and back into the workforce before the year is out.
So talk to your gp and start the treatment.
By doing nothing, the depression is only going to get worse.
Let me know how you go

I fully understand

Hi @MintyX. Just wanted to see how you are doing at the moment and to let you know I'm thinking of you

yes absolutely. I used to be so intelligent and quick thinking.  Now I'm just flakey and feel lazy.  I wonder if it will ever change back to how it used to be?

@tigger19. My depression and panic attacks caused a lot of different problems.
Concentration has been affected and my memory also. Sometimes I just cant think of a common everyday word.
My memory has become worse since being placed on sleeping tablets and high blood pressure tablets - these 2 medications do affect memory.
But I'm hoping that once I'm off these meds that my memory will improve.
My concentration is better. I think that has a lit to do with practicing coping and relaxation techniques.
Maybe I will always have a difference in my memory. Before I got sick - I was sharp abd quick. Now I forget how to spell some words.
But my depression has lifted and I haven't had a panic attack since Feb / March this year.
I'll happily put up with a slight memory problem - rather than be so depressed I feel suicidal..

Good choice @utopia 👍🏻

Hi @Tigga19 and @utopia

When I was very depressed my mind was much slower, words got forgotten etc. Now that I'm on the right combo of meds the depression and anxiety has gone and my mind is back to being sharp, quick and working intelligently and well.

Your intellect has not been impaired but depression does tend to slow down those thought processes. Work on overcoming your depression and the rest will return to you. 💕🎶

Well said @Kurra. My big fear about returning to the workforce - was what if I can't do Admin any more - because I know I'm not as fast as I was. My psychologist explained a few things.
1 - my fear is because I was injured in the workplace
2 - I'm still intelligent.
3 - I may be slow to start - but that's because it's been a while since I worked.
4 - my new employer won't know how fast and efficient I used to be
5 - my new employer will probably think I'm fast and efficient - even if I'm a little slower than I was - only I will know that
6 - if my new employer pays me - then he's happy with my work.
You will find @tigger19 - that as your depression lifts - your concentration and memory will improve.
I wish you all the best
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance