Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Confidentiality in hospital

Hi all,

Slightly random question.  Does anyone know what hospitals' policies are around disclosure of who is there. For instance, could my GP call the local hospital and find out whether or not I was a patient there?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Confidentiality in hospital

Hi Briar, whenever I am in hospital they have a consent form where you nominate your contacts on the outside world. So I don't think a random stranger or even GP could get much info about you.

This might differ subtly on a state by state basis. If you live in Greater Outer Woop Woop, where there's only Woop Woop Hospital, your GP may reasonably infer that you have been, are or will be a patient there.

If your hospital has a website, you might be able to find an 'information privacy for patients' sheet or something. Officially naming and nominating your GP seems to require your signature, but after that, information seems to be exchangeable on a fairly free basis. From the doctor and hospital's perspective, it's essentially something like 'a stitch in time saves nine' - information can be used by the professionals to help see a pattern that you might not be able to see yourself.

Hi @Briar,

It’s an interesting question for sure, and I don’t think there is definitely a clear-cut answer out there unfortunately. As @CannonSalt mentioned, it might be worthwhile to contact the relevant hospital or have a look on their website as to their policies around disclosure. The laws might differ for public and private hospitals as well, which muddies the waters a little more. And as @BamBam pointed out, the extent to which information is diclosed may depend largely on your consent. 

If you want you could contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (1300 363 992) or the privacy regulator in your state and seek their advice. Hope this helps.

All the best,
supernova.

Below link is for Nsw.

This is the privacy laws in theory.In practice i have known of numerous instances of hospitals breaching privacy and giving information to G.P's (or requesting info) without the patient/s permisssion.

It's little wonder that doctors feel confident and fearless to do this,because their are often little or no repurcussions.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/patients/privacy/Pages/default.aspx

As an interesting add on to this here is an article about the recent problems in SA

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-24/opposition-calls-judicial-inquiry-health-records-cy-walsh-b...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance