Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Surviving85
Casual Contributor

Can you completely recover from mental illness

Hi,

i have been asking myself whether you can completely recover from mental illness, or are the "good" times just stable times when the meds are working.  

I have had acute periods of mental illness that have involved police, involuntary admissions, ECT and multiple medications including order for injectable anti-psychotic due to non-compliance with meds.

For the last two years I have no admissions, I am not seeing a psychologist and haven't seen a psychiatrist.  My doctor continues to prescribe anti-psychotics, but I think I am ready to wean off those.

i am having a consultant psychiatric review on Monday to discuss the anti-psychotics, and I don't know what to tell them.  I mean I am doing ok on the outside, but sometimes I have highly unusual and negative thoughts, but maybe I am just better at not telling anyone, for fear of going backwards.  Sometimes it feels as though I am walking a tightrope which could break at any time.  I know my family want me to go med free because they believe I have been "cured" but I am not sure.  Maybe it's just the meds working and coming off them could have consequences.  

I am just curious if anybody has "recovered" from acute mental illness or whether it is something that can come and go throughout different periods of life.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can you completely recover fro mental illness

It's such an interesting question @Surviving85.  I think it's a common dilemma to not know whether the improved state of your health is due to meds or independent of them.  Often a few days without them can clear that up.  A return or worsening of symptoms lets you know the state of play.

It sounds like you've come a long way from where you were so there's certainly good grounds for hoping that your recovery is independent of the meds.  Or not so heavily dependent on them.  Do you think there's a middle path in disclosing to the Psychiatrist?  It'll be hard for him or her to give you good guidance without some idea of what's happening.  

I've certainly worked with clients who have recovered from episodes of psychosis.  There is often still some element of an active recovery though - being careful to avoid excessive stress, thought-checking to ensure their perspective is still grounded etc.

Hopefully other forum members will weigh in with their perspective. 

Re: Can you completely recover from mental illness

What were your diagnoses. I think that would help decide. I don't feel you should go off mess if they have been stabiling If you had another on going disease you wouldn't stop taking the mess. Best wishes for what ever way you choose to go but why upset the apple cart. It's not worth it in the end. Xx

Hi @Surviving85, I agree, be very cautious coming off ya meds, really do trust and pay attention to your psych team, but also speak out your views and negotiate treatment. Family are not always helpful / informed on these matters and they can come from a 'stigma' perspective ("our family don't have MH problems...). Well, my family have really struggled with this. They hasselled me big time to stop seeing my psychologist after my first breakdown in my 20s "you don't need that shrink anymore do you!" they use to say, so I just stopped telling them about my MH and treatment, even to this day. White lies, say what they wanna hear, sad really. Its OK to find help / support elsewhere if family and friends are being judgemental.
As for ? 'are we ever cured?' Yes, I think many 'recover' - find balance again, learn new coping skills, mature and see things differently...
One of my brothers just had two years off his antipsychotic injections but relapsed last December, had 3wks in hospital and is now on CTO back on meds. Trouble was when he was unwell he couldn't perceive the illness, delusions & behaviours, as destructive and he has had to be involuntary / forced to get help which is distressing all round.
Just be sensible about it. xox

Hi @Surviving85,

You have some good advice here from @suzanne, @esprit and @Former-Member. Knowing whether the improvement in your mental health is due to medication or other indepenant factors is something that is asked frequently and difficult to distingush.

Coming off your medication completely without weaning down can result in a withdrawal from the medication and a recurrance of symptoms, so it would be good to discuss this with your prescribing doctor to get their advice.

How did the psychiatric review go? Were you able to discuss how you have been feeling openly with them?

Look forward to chatting with you soon Smiley Happy

Hi @Surviving85

Yes, I had recovered from a psychotic episode many years ago so it can happen. I do agree with @Rockpool that to wean off any anti-psychotic medication must be done very gradually as the withdrawal symptoms can replicate similar symptoms if done too suddenly. Then it is hard to distinguish what is doing what. Best to work out a very slow reduction plan with your medical professional.

Also I second @suzanne in doing one's best to avoid excessive stress, lead a healthy lifestyle and to continue working on the negative thinking with positive thoughts to counteract a relapse. Sending you all my best and wishing you healing and peace.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance