Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

ARRGGHHH!!!!! I need silence!!!!!

I can't work out which is worse, hearing negative voices telling me to hurt myself all day long, or people talking in the library/on public transport. 

ARRGGGHHH!!!!!

Be QUIET people!!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: ARRGGHHH!!!!! I need silence!!!!!

Headphones, earphones are a God send for me. Quite often I will wear them and not even have anything playing. When I am really stressed or need quiet, I can put on music that will calm and distract me, and if I don't feel like listening to anything but don't want to interact, I leave them in. People don't expect you to interact with them when they see the earphones, and they drown out noise of others whilst still allowing you to hear a little, such as in the supermarket. Might be worth a try. I used to pretend to be doing something on my phone, but this helps me even more.

Hello @Former-Member

That sounds extremely intense, has that become worse of late? Is there anything that is making you feel this way at the moment? When I am stressed or overwhelmed I get very irritable and aware of small noises and things, it can be really hard to ignore them and relax.

Lunar

Hi @Lunar,
Yes, I guess it's been worse recently cause I've been feeling so unwell. Every little sound drives me bonkers. And I'm finding it so hard to concentrate on uni work at the moment. I just can't concentrate.
I've taken to sitting in the library with earplugs that block almost everything in. I'm sure I look like a weirdo with orange things inside my ears, but at least I can cope this way.
God, I had such a full on therapy session today. All I want to do is crawl into bed and not move. And maybe cry a little.
And I've taken this whole week off work - I have no idea what my boss must think. She must be very frustrated at me by now, considering in particular that I've been so unproductive at work when I've actually been there.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance