Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: 2 doctors, both a waste of time

@Princessmolly. Good on you for looking at doing an online course.

Hi @kcd,
It's crap. I have not seen my Psychiatrist since last Oct. I lost my job and could not afford her $80-110 fees. That is what I had to pay after rebate. I now go to my bulk billing G.P. She helps me with medication. Otherwise I would not receive my meds. I see a Psychologist every 2 months, as a referral from the G.P. I get 7 sessions, an hour session is only $15.Brilliant. This helps with the counselling that I sometimes need. This also shows I am getting help from not just a G.P. I found a Psychiatrist who is local who bulk bills. But, waiting list is long, March is when I will get to see him. Put name down anyway. Help is very hard to find. If it weren't for my G.P and psychologist, I don't know what I would of done when I was hospitalised in January. It is like a rubix cube, having to click one way then another to find suitable help for mental health that suits you. They prefer you to have the 3 team. G.P, Psychologist and Psychiatrist. The DSP tell you this combination is what they look for if you need to go on the disability pension. It Sucks! . Good luck finding your help. It may take a while but there are the options or avenues that you can try to get a little bit of assistance or start your help team.Cheers Ms78

I have never tried to fix my mental health and if i am honest the process has almost made me give up trying

Yep totally understand that. A genuine situation that is shared probably by most here. Having to be told that 3 people make up a mental health team is really daunting. One person can be hard enough. I am new here so my contributions or help offered is very much just based on my experience but there are many here that have more insight into this . It took me 22 years to reach out for help and be assessed and diagnosed. So I understand that its daunting. I don't take offence to anyone who reads my contributions and find it doesn't work for them. I hope that you do connect with someone here and go, hey, thats sounds like my situation. So all the best, and take care. Cheers, Ms78

This discussion is so sad. I feel bad because I have more publically provided care than I want. I'm literally trying to avoid the various programs that are trying to force themselves on me. And I'm not even unwell 😞

It sounds seriously broken.

@kcd. Please don't give up trying. Yes the public health system can be a minefield to navigate through sometimes. If you are able to afford private health insurance - it's the way to go.
My mum acted as my advocate when I first got sick. I kept going to my gp, explaining how I was feeling and she just didn't get it. Until my mum came to an appointment with me and demanded that the gp listen. From that point on my gp has had a huge learning curve in MI. but she is bow also obe of my strongest advocates & is alwayss in contact with my psychologist.
So please don't give up. If you need a hand navigating the system ask for help from someone you know.
All the best

i guess i always thought that the problem was was never completely honest with my gp. but i straight out said i was going to end my life and she sent me home.they also said they would follow up to make surei did. that was monday...no calls

Hi kcd,
Earlier I wished you all the best, and by the sounds of it, you really need help so Im back. So ok the G.P is not a strong link so I can only suggest a helpline. Yes, more talking but they take you serious. It's private and they can get you in touch with the Mental Health Team. Senior members here probably can direct you to one like Lifeline ( I owe them much gratitude ) or find their number at website.Again, it worked for me. No running around, No BS just real help from your loungeroom. These people work very hard to help you. I ended up in hospital care and when I got out, the mental health Team rang to see how I was.
I really hope you can get that help, even if they can just offer you what your G.P couldn't. They were able to get me help without any doctors involvement. Please think about it.
Cheers. Ms78

@kcd. There's nothing decent to say about what this gp did - or should I say didn't do. Sh*t. You said suicide and they rushed you out the door. Bloody disgusting. No excuse.
I wouldn't have paid the bill.
I'm sorry that was your experience, but I hope you are able to access some help soon. @Former-Member gave some good advice.

I've been hospitalised many times and always in a public hospital. Usually by the time I seriously need help the private hospitals won't take me as they don't have any high care locked wards or isolation cells.

I can't say I was happy to be there but the care was of a high quality and I was certainly helped during my stay and afterwards too. It was the police who got me the care and help I needed.

I think it's important to understand that there are good and bad public hospitals as well as good and bad private hospitals. Paying a fortune for a GP or psychiatrist doesn't guarantee that the care they give will be any better than those who bulk bill or charge very little. It really is about finding the right health professionals for you. Listen to your gut feelings. They're usually right.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance