Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Is Mental Health Week effective?

Mental Health Week this year runs from Sunday 9 Oct - Saturday 15 Oct.

The aim of the week is to raise awareness and reduce stigma of mental health. 

I often wonder if the "general public" are aware that it's Mental Health Week, it seems to get a lot of air time, but am I only noticing because of my involvement with the mental health sector..

I'm keen to hear from you - 

Do you think it's effective?

If you could change one misconception about mental illness, what would it be?

If you missed out on our Smashing Stigma webinar featuring SANE Australia speakers, you can find it here. You can also watch Dov's inspiring story and hope for greater awareness about mental illness below.

47 REPLIES 47

Re: Is Mental Health Week effective?

Hi @NikNik. I hope all is good for you today.
I know the ABC puts on some great documentaries and shows specific to mental health -during Mental Health Week. And I tell family and friends and sometimes people on the street when chatting - to have a look at ABC during this time - because it can be so informative & help to dispel some stigmas that are often associated with MI.
I believe SBS does similar during this important week.
I do worry however, that there are so many "this is the week of ..... " - that people can tune out - to what could be a great learning opportunity.
I would like to see more emphasis on Mental Health Week on mainstream radio, tv and newsprint - especially in our Regional areas.
So I hope that those who are comfortable doing so - will tell as many people as they can about this important week. And what activities will be going on during this week.

A misconception about MI! Wow there are so many.
But I think the main one - that I hope fits all types of MI diagnosis would be:
That those who live with Mental Illness are weak - because they 'should just get on with it' or 'stop whinging'.
Because I know - people who are living with Mental Illness are some of the strongest people I have ever met!!!!!!
Thanks for a good topic to discuss @NikNik

Hi @NikNik and @utopia,

I know what you are saying, @NikNik- I have a similar experience; I wonder if I am only noticing all the stuff regarding Metal Health Week because I, myself, have a mental illness?

I wonder if the average person notices it? Life can be so busy... I think people have to screen out all the things that they don't immediately relate to. You know, I doubt I am a typical person because I really do have a lot of time on my hands, so I have the luxury of noticing whatever I come across, be it in the media, in the street, in my back-yard...

In our tiny little town they are having a few functions for Mental Health Week. Yesterday, people were asked to wear a hat all day in recognition of mental illness. Today there is a free BBQ outside one of the supermarkets.... I don't even think you have to be bonkers to go along! Smiley Tongue Then there is a kind of Dog Show thing as a fundraiser. These events were advertised in the local newspaper and on social media.

But I am thinking of people like my sister who works full time and has two children... I doubt she would even give Meltal Health Week one little thought because her days are already packed full of stuff.

A misconception about MI? I think the main one for me would be that if someone is seriously mentally ill, then you would be able to tell just by looking at them. That they would be unkept, unemployed, ranting, smelly and weird. This is so not true! 

The person with MI could be your lawyer, your doctor, your accountant or your hairdresser and you would not even know. They may look good, act normally and even smile and be friendly and yet they could be suffering. 

Hi @NikNik

This coming week is an important week.  But I am still not sure if people are aware of Mental Health Week.

To me I feel it gets 'hushed hushed' a bit.  Maybe what @utopia suggested that more of the main TV and radio stations advertise MH week would be a good idea and even the regional areas.

And I agree also with @utopia in that I feel people think that I should just 'get over it' and 'just forget your parents' - easier said than done.

Also BPD - I just feel that this name needs to change.

@BlueBay. I've heard many people say they would like the BPD name changed.
So what do you think you would like it called - thinking of your symptoms?

Hi @utopia
I think name change to "emotional dysregulation disorder".
I'll be back after to tell you about my session today with my therapist. I'm confused.

I like that. Just tell people that's what you have - instead of saying BPD. I think you have the right to use your own label.
Good luck at therapists.

I think we are beginning to get into 'awareness fatigue' The list is pretty long. I'm not sure how you get cut through without a huge media budget. I don't really have an answer here but if you're not in it then you can't do anything about the problem. One possibility is to better leverage technology. What does SANE think about doing more video content?

I'll be wearing a pin for the day this year. I'm not sure if I'll say anything if anyone asks, maybe I'll just talk about how I've helped friends that have had problems. 

As for the second question I think I've expressed my views pretty clearly over the last couple of weeks.

@NikNik@utopia, @BlueBay@mrkotter -

I just wanted to share with everyone; there are two interesting shows on ABC T.V. tonight to do with mental health. The first one is on around 8.30 pm and it's Steven Fry talking about his Bipolar. The second one follows on at around 9.30 and it's about the science behind helping people with MI. Looks really interesting to me. I am going to make time to watch!Smiley Happy

If anyone else would like to watch too, maybe we can write some posts on Sane forums at the same time? 

@Sahara @NikNik. I think it would be great to talk about these programs after we have watched them. Debrief, chat about issues that may occur for some people, what we liked or didn't like.
Maybe a new post for tonight on ABC's programs.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance