Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Altogether
Senior Contributor

walking the puppy

Good morning all, 

Just back from walking my 'puppy'. She's actually 3 but with four kids she will always be my baby. (she doesn't talk back, appreciates everything I do and is always happy to see me, so yes, she's the spoilt one!)

I have posted the reason I've joined here already, but just having a bit of a browse now. 

About 12 months ago I decided being that I am heading into middle aged and overweight. (for me) I couldn't do anything about the age so started to really make an effort to lose some weight. As opposed to just whinging about it. 

The last 6 months I've made good inroads and have the routine now of walking my puppy twice a day. Even if it means a quick one in the evening while dinner is cooking. The last week, since the proverbial has blown up, I haven't kept that routine. Today it's time to start to get back to it as much as I can. It makes the puppy feel good, it makes me feel good seeing her enjoying herself, (I don't really like exercise personally!), and it means I'm not risking undoing what I've done as that would just upset me too. 

I don't have much of a life, so it's probably important I keep at least that up because it's also time to myself and time out of the house. 

So yeah, at this stage, that's how I look after myself. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: walking the puppy

Hi @Altogether

It's nice to 'meet' you. I've not said hello to you yet, but I've seen you around in your other thread. From what I read of your previous posts, it's great to hear that you're making some in roads by developing a routine that involves self-care. It sounds like your family, and your son, in particular has been through a lot so it's so important to care for you. After all, it's hard to give what you don't have.

I love dogs (hence my profile pic). There can be something so therapeautic about being in their company. When I read your post about walking your post, it made me think of this this post that I read on social media today. It's basically about how we can learn a few lessons of love from our canine companions.

I also thought you might like to know that on the 25/08 we're having Topic Tuesday where we will be discussing how discussing how carers can support someone who is at risk of suicide. You'll be able to find the discussion in special events. But we'll post reminders around the Forums closer to the date as well.

There's also this thread that I thought might be of interest to you. It's in the Lived Experiences Forum but it's about what people do to stay well, so I thought it might be helpful.

You're not alone in hating exercise. I find it particularly tough with cold weather, so I am impressed with your efforts. I imagine your dog would let you know if he/she's missing out on their walk as dogs like to do. What sort of dog do you have?

CB

Hi @CherryBomb,

I smiled at that question, because 'yes', my puppy definitely lets me know. Generally the minute I start to move in the morning she's on top of me, (yes, she sleeps in between my husband and I) and if she sees me put my 'walking' clothes on she's running hyper in seconds!! I'm sure she hears me pulling my socks on. 

Oh, she's a Tenterfield Terrier, crossed with Kelpie, crossed with who knows what else. (she's a SAFE puppy, she's small but the by the pic of her dad, he looks like he's a Ridgeback cross) What type of dog is yours? Apart from gorgeous, clearly. 🙂 

I will have a look at those threads, thank you for the links. And I'm definitely keen on the discussion you mentioned. Thank you again. 

Hi @Altogether,

I don't have a puppy... yet. I grew up with dogs (German Shepherds and Border Collies), but haven't had one as an adult. I've certainly missed having one, and am always the first one to put my hand up to doggy-sit friends' dogs.

My partner and I are looking into getting one at the end of the year though. It will mostly likely be a rescue dog. I can't wait! I'll be sure to post photos when I do.

I'd love to see photos of your pup if want to share. Smiley Wink

Oh my goodness, she's super cute! HeartSmiley Very Happy I can just imagine how hard it would be to turn down those big brown eyes when it's walk time. If she's anything like my dog when I was growing up, even the word 'walkies' would send her into a frenzy.

The dog in my profile pic is just one I found of the internet. I thought it was an accurate representation of my personality and I like yoga hence the 'downward dog'.Smiley Wink

P.S. Thanks for picking up on the anonymity issue and changing photos!

Haha, no need to stop. I am loving the pics! Smiley Very Happy As a matter fact, I regular check out online dogs up for adoption. It really pulls my heart strings! So suprised I haven't buckled yet. I guess it's because, we don't have space yet as we live in a tiny apart. But later this year, we'll be moving to a regional area with lots of space for dog.

Looks like your stepdaughter is quite the photographer?

We waited to get ours till I was ready. I knew that I couldn't rely on any of the four kids to keep up with doing things for her, so I had to be ready.
She actually bonded really well with my son and helped him through a rough patch at the time. He's somewhat of a dog whisperer. And yes, my stepdaughter is a good photographer.

You'll love it when you get one of your own.

Oh wow your puppy is gorgeous, @altogether!!! Even if she’s three years old she still looks like a puppy. Like @CherryBomb I grew up with dogs (border collies and kelpies) but haven’t had one as an adult – I never quite feel ready for the responsibility. My family had a dog that would have eight or nine pups each year (not the most responsible dog owners, it makes me cringe a bit now - supposedly having a farm dog desexed makes them lazy). Anyway, I would so love to have eight puppies to cuddle again!

There are lots of animal lovers here on the Forums. I think @seahorse, @Kiera80, @Jo and @Harry are all pet owners/animal lovers.

You might also like to have a read of this nice thread started by @chookmojo on the Lived Experience Forum. What pet would you be if you were your own pet?

Thanks for sharing @Altogether. Can’t beat a cute puppy pic!

I love seeing pictures of dogs, just love them to pieces.

At the moment we have 4 dogs and 1 cat in our household.  We do puppy raising so it's usually always a full house most of the year.

I think that dogs are the most compassionate animals.  When you feel down or feel sad they are always there for you.  They let you hug them and they don't ever judge.  Lately I have been hugging my dogs an awful lot and I thank God that I have them.  My house would be pretty quiet and lonely without the dogs being there.

This pic is of one of our labradors and my little jack russell.  They make me smile each and every day.  I walk them every day even when I don't feel too good.  They push me to get out in the fresh air and get some exercise.  I feel so loved when I come home and they are running around so excited to see me.

P1100015.JPG

You have beautiful fur friend @Kiera80. It's amazing how much our pets can care for us. Even though I don't have dog right now, I have plenty of friends who do, and even seeing dogs or cats on the street makes me feel happy. 

I saw yesterday, and thought you, @Altogether and @Acacia might enjoy. I could relate to pretty much of them! Number 15 especially. Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance