Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

chookmojo
Community Elder

Nice perspective on self care

A girl at work sent this around and I thought I would share here as we have so many avid pet lovers....

You must treat yourself as a loved one, or team-mate. Or pet. Imagine how you would treat a pet – how you talk to it in a gentle voice; make sure it’s warm; delight in giving it treats, or taking it for a walk.

Become your own pet. Choose what you would be. Select your daemon. It’s a delightful hobby to have – being your own pet. For many years now, I have been a small, charismatic dachsund called Eric. I love Eric. I can be unabashed in my love of Eric – his stumpy legs, his gleeful leaping. Oh, I treat Eric so well! I make sure I walk Eric every day, for I have found he gets morose if he’s cooped up. He needs an hour of fresh air, regardless of the weather – he needs to look up at the sky, and have his heart race when birds fly overhead. He needs to gallop around a bit, woofing – which I disguise as jogging, and going ‘AHHHH!’ at the top of steep hills. He needs regular meals, and a good night’s sleep, and to be stroked, curled up on the sofa, watching musicals.

Eric loves jaunty clothes – he’s got a red bobble hat and a duffel-coat he feels very dapper in. And whenever Eric gets fraught, and thinks he’s having a nervous breakdown, I give him a cup of tea and a biscuit, and he almost invariably feels happier... So I always have a big biscuit tin – for Eric. 

I'll have to think about what pet I would be and what that pet-care routine would look like.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Nice perspective on self care

Thanks @chookmojo. That gave me a big smile and chuckle. 'For Eric'. 😄

I used to love the "things I learned from my dog" lists.

But this is better in that it gives us the opportunity to choose and personalise and "legitimately" have an imaginary playmate. YAY.

So I had to think about this way too hard to see the answer staring me in the face. As my own pet I would be a chook. Probabaly a big Australorp with soft fluffy feathers, big beautiful eyes and a sassy red comb...

Australorp

Too much time cooped up makes for a dull and listless chook, she wants fresh air and sunshine and lots of unhurried time to potter about in the garden, making happy chook noises to herself.  Her flock is important even if she is currently off on her own, and new places and people are treated cautiously. She LOVES her treats and noms, so it is important that I ensure she gets good nutrition balanced with the treats. A safe secure yard where she doesn't have to worry about predators, a cozy snug place to snooze, a (dirt) bath to splash about in , lost of fresh water and plenty of interesting little things to investigate and ponder. That's how to keep my chooky self happy.

Of course @chookmojo

I am not that familiar with chooks .. just had a few rellos who had some.

My brother was earnest and baked me a 3 egg bread to thank me for letting him stay at my flat..

So many chicken and egg metaphors .. food for thought and life.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I can not stop giggling here!!!!
Too cute, I needed to giggle, thank you so much!! 🙂

I'm cracking up here hahahahahaha I seriously am!!!!
A chook, she is super cute! I'm crying from giggling so much!! 🙂

Ooh, I like this idea! I would have to be a cat like my beautiful Blue! Funnily enough, I think I already mirror him in a fair few ways... love relaxing in the sunshine, bound downstairs to welcome anyone arriving home, talkative, playful, enjoy getting outside for some fresh air, love cuddles... he lives a good life! 🙂

2014-10-23 15.24.28.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance