Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

night time relaxation methods

hi guys

i find that msot of the time im very anxious of a night time

im wondering what others do to settle down for the night to calm both the mind and body. i nkow if the body is tense its hard to sleep as well so any suggestions welcome

so far i can think of deep breathing, mindfullness and reading abook

@Former-Member@CherryBomb@utopia @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51@Bimby2@Mazarita@Adge@soul@Anony18

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: night time relaxation methods

Hello @outlander 🙂

I repeat the word 'the' as it doesn't lead to any thoughts in particular.

I have to have everything dark and quiet, so on the occasions where I've had to sleep in someone else's house, I will place towels, blankets, cloth of some type, over anything that lights up (so many gadgets in most houses) and under the crack at the bottom of the door, etc. I will also gently place a pillow over the top of my head, which also helps with the light and is a good muffler for sound (another thing very common in most houses - fridges, clocks, neighbours and the likes).

I will get up and move, even if it's just pacing, to try and help my muscles tire.

I use herbal sleep aids (don't care if they actually work, so long as I believe they do:) )

I will use a relaxation method of imagining I'm laying on the cloud and letting the most wonderful softness and magical calm seep into my body as is sinks into it.

Sometimes I will just let myself lay there, even if I can't sleep I can still relax my muscles and allow myself to feel 'in control' that way.

Reading is a good one, I used to use almost text type books, complicated ones, as it would tire my thought out. (My eyes are getting older now though)

Deep breathing with a strong focus on what I'm doing definately helps my mind off negitave thoughts.

I'm yet to 'look into' mindfullness, so I think your one up on me there:)

Thanks for your suggestions @Former-Member

Any time @outlander🙂 {well, anytime when my brains working in a way I can get the letters typed on the screen:D}

@outlanderI usually do a breathing meditation, once or twice during the day - & also when I'm wanting to go to sleep.

I focus on my breaths, saying "in", & "out" - whilst slowing down my breathing (as much as possible), & breathing more deeply (instead of shallow & fast breaths).

Sometimes, if I'm really anxious or am having a lot of trouble getting to sleep - I do the same with deepening & slowing down my breathing, whilst counting backwards from 100 to 0 (I read about that somewhere).

Slow & deeper breathing is also supposed to be helpful with managing panic & anxiety - although I'm still working on practicing that. I haven't found a breathing practice that helps effectively with panic (& anxiety) yet.

Adge

@utopia can u tag me in your breathing technique thread please. I cant seem to find it...

And thank you @Adge for you suggestions too

That's okay @outlander I hope you find it helpful.

@utopiaCan you please tag me into your breathing techniques thread too, please.

Adge

?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance