Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Crazy_Bug_Lady
Senior Contributor

Workplace Problems

I was supposed to attend a meeting last week with HR and my manager. But I really wasn't in the right frame of mind. My GP referred me back to the psychiatrist I saw in February, and she wrote me a certificate saying I cannot attend.

End of story right?? Nope!

Because I have a Doctor's note saying I could not meet with HR, my workplace feels I am unfit to work. I am seriously regretting getting this note. HR still wants me to meet with my Manager as apparently my behaviour in the workplace needs to be discussed, but as HR is unable to, they want the 2nd head of the company to attend.
Slightly pissed about this, if people just told me when they have a problem with me it wouldn't have built up to this. I'd honestly rather deal with HR than the über boss, which would be even more terrifying for me.

And with all this, I can't get hold of my psychiatrist. I have no idea what to do and I'm freaking out.

14 REPLIES 14
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Workplace Problems

oh no! that sounds really tough! if you do go to the meeting can you take a friend with you as support? I also have to get a clearance for my hr so i can go back to work, if i ever go back to work.. my psychiatrist wont give me one yet anyway so im not thinking about it yet. sigh! 

Your workplace sounds a bit behind in understanding and working with people in a positive way to increase confidence and positivity. Might be worth phoning Fair Work SA? just for some advice and to know what your rights are.

www.fairwork.gov.au

and ph 13 13 94

goodluck!

LJ

Aww @Crazy_Bug_Lady

It seems like they don't really get the reason why you can't attend HR meetings. You not being able to attend these HR meeting does not relfect your work capacity. It makes me upset hearing about your experience at work Smiley Frustrated GAH!

I wonder if it would help if your doc/psych could explain this in a little more detail? It could be a misunderstanding?  I guess on the their end, your workplace could be trying to figure out what it means if you can't attend meetings so perhaps it means providing more info. That said, I can understand if you're uncomfortable providing any more information.

How you doing anyway? What are you up to tonight @Crazy_Bug_Lady?

Sending you cyber suppportive cuddles.

Great suggestions @Former-Member!

Hey @Crazy_Bug_Lady

Its so tricky in the workplace!

You're so right, if they had just said what they thought straight up, there wouldn't be this scenario where you're twice as worried as you would've been.

People don't know what to discuss - whether things should be kept hush hush or how to manage people with MI.  I know when I was very ill at work - I'm sure there was way more talking going on behind my back than there was to me, and this was not useful and unsafe.

It's strange that HR training at uni doesn't have a compulsory mental health and health side to it -- sometimes the workplace has a nurse, but usually its up to HR. In my HR course it was to study work-related and developmental/learning psychology, but oftentimes HR is people who work their way up from admin. And HR is often training and development focussed, rather than health and wellbeing.

Not sure what your workplace is like, but I find its still so hush hush, because living with MI is seen as a weakness often in competitive jobs.

I reckon you've probably already gone through all the worst-case scenarios in your mind, so getting through this should be a piece of pie (or a peaceful pie haha).

They are probably worried about talking to you, hoping they do the right thing. So that's a plus. I am just trying to picutre myself going into my bosses office now...

Hooley dooley, I'd be flustered and choatic, but i think that's only if I didn't have any notice. If I had some notice, I could prepare by visualising myself being cool, calm and collected, wear my best beaded necklace, and plan my responses. I can then plan how I would say I am going to move forward from whatever is concerning them. So if they said "We are concerned about yuour behaviour" I would have a reason for the behaviour and a way to move forward from it.

It has worked for me a couple of times, but I guess it depends on the workplace.

I hope this helps @Crazy_Bug_Lady!

I am so stressed out and panicking about this. It's ridiculous.
I did get one piece of good luck in disguise today. My psychologists office rang this arvo, there was some mishap, and they booked over my appointment next week. But they have an appointment free for me tomorrow morning. So at least I can talk to *someone* about this...

The problem I'm finding with this meeting is I asked my boss why can't we (me and her) have a chat, and apparently they (management) have had problems with me for ages, as in the previous manager who went on leave at Christmas had problems too. And that's the biggest issue I have. Why the hell did no one speak to me. I have been hating my job for years, because I feel like no one talks to me. And now I need to have a meeting with all these people, because they've had a problem with me not talking (and we'll keep going around and around).

As my psych appointments been brought forward a week, I am spending tonight trying to get all my homework done, in betwixt panicking about work. -_-
Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm glad that you're psych appt has been brought forward, thats helpful right now! 

I think you should let them know that if they've had concerns for a 'long time' that they should have been raising the issue at an appropriate time too. Also would you consider looking for a different job, it does not sound like a nice place to work, so sorry you have to go through all that, 😞

LJ

That's the thing LJ, I love my job. I love the work I do, and I love my clients. I work in medical research, so I'm always learning new things. And it's hard to get another job in this industry.

@Crazy_Bug_Lady

You could use this a catalyst for change in your workplace.

What do you want to see changed? How could they do things differently?

You could put this on the table during the discussion with your boss?

Heya @Crazy_Bug_Lady

It's totally understandable that you're feeling stressed out about, I think most people would feel this way.

It's not nice being left out of conversations. I agree with you - why couldn't they just have this conversation with you in the first place? It could have given you a chance to change, wheras not having the discussion seems to have left most peope feeling unhappy.

Workplaces can be a tricky place. The people in that environment are not people that you have chosen to have in your life, yet you spend more time with them than most of your friends and family. It can be a very complex mix of people, which can make it hard for people to get along.

You're dealing with this exceptionally well. It's great to see that you're focusing on what you can do to move through this (seeing your psych and doing homework).

You're doing well @Crazy_Bug_Lady, things might not be the greatest right now, but all this will pass, and it will be a distant memory...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance