Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: What to do if therapy doesn't work?

"Have you heard of SANE's guided service?"

I'm outside of the service regions.

"I know your thread says 'What to do if therapy doesn't work?' however, I've noticed that it depends on who is facilitating the therapy, who is involved in the therapy, the structure of the therapy, one's readiness for therapy etc. There are so many factors that come into play. "

The last two psychologists I have spoken with have told me I'm untreatable through the kind of therapy approaches they are trained in, specifically CBT, because it makes specific assumptions about people (ie if you're not someone who can be manipulated into having a more positive outlook, and you have serious trauma related problems that make it difficult for you to have life goals and aims, this approach is not something that should or could be used). So the level and kind of training is incredibly important: everyone effectively has a "tool kit" for talking to clients, but everyone has the same toolkit and it's actually not a very effective one, it's just the one that was cheapest and most easily available. It's a bit like having a dodgy hammer from the two dollar shop: everything looks like a nail when it's the only tool available, but even then it isn't that great. Whether or not you "click" with someone isn't as important as if they actually have more than that dodgy hammer in their tool belt, and a significant amount of people simply don't. If you don't "click" with someone, then at least if they have other tools they can suggest where you can find someone else who knows how to use those other tools?

"In the meantime, you I hope you can connect with other supports too."

There's a significant issue (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) that even locating supports, let alone accessing them, is an incredibly labyrinthine process. I have been looking for three years. I spent nearly six hours yesterday talking with people, chatting with people on mental heath hotline chats, and all they can do is refer me to each other. I am asking where do I go? Who do I speak with? I spent most of the last several years trapped in a cycle of waiting months to see someone, realising immediately they have zero idea whatsoever about how to appropriately address trauma, then waiting months more to see someone else, all the time while my mental state degrades. I just want to know where I can go for help that isn't "go to this other place" or "just try breathing exercises!" because that's basically all anyone has said in years now and I cannot do this anymore.

If you don't mind sharing, which state are you located? Members may know of some supports in your area.

I know that once I found one support, I got linked everywhere, and my supports were incredible. It was all in the public health system, so there were no payments needed. In my area alone, I know many different supports available including EIPSR program (Early Intervention Psychosocial Support Response Program); HOPE program; Western Bulldogs Daughters/Sons of the West program; Life! Program; Change Room Program; PARCs...

Just depends on what you are looking for @Horza . And if CBT is not a good fit for you, have you looked at DBT, ACT? I know you mentioned the costs involved, but would it be like using a spoon instead of a shovel because it's cheaper? Not sure if I make sense there.

I'd encourage you to continue looking. I know it can be tiring. Hopefully forum members will be able to direct you without mentioning specifics that can identify them (anonymity guideline).

All the best, tyme

DBT and ACT are both derivatives of CBT, so they're not things I think are worth much time. I'm quite rural, so I need something by telehealth, which you might think would make things easier. 😞

I encourage you not to give up @Horza . The clouds may be over you now, but the clouds will blow over.

Keep looking. I'm sure there are groups available. Do you have any particular interest in art? There are online art therapy groups I've attended in the past. It was great to connect with others and we had the option of having our cameras on or off. I've also attended online MH psychotherapy groups sessions, as well as 1:1s. Is your internet relatively stable? If so, you are open to many more opportunities.

Since covid, these online groups are definitely more readily available.  

Sitting with you @Horza 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance