Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

Hello @Harry, @Alessandra1992, @JT, @kenny66, @butterflychaser, @Neb, @kristin, @Loopy

how are you ?? we are taking about our psts as therapy and for our wellbeing xx

Very good point @Former-Member. I totally agree.

Yes I know what you mean @Shaz51. Holly has a totally different back when she knows who is at the door, compared to when it is a stranger. She has a different back when hubby gets home, and a different bark when she has a lizard she has bailed up. And another one when she is trying to remind me that its dinner time. Arent pets funny.

Yes @Former-Member cats do love their lizards. I'm glad you were able to let him go again. Cats do seem to like to bring you a gift dont they? Lizards arent so bad, but I dont appreciate gift mice!

Holly loves frogs actually. She is totally obsessed with them. The little green tree frogs. They can be the size of your little fingernail, and she spots them in the garden at nighttime when they come out.

Trouble is she grabs them and brings them inside, unknown to me at the time. She must be very careful and gentle with them though, because they never appear to be harmed.

She just brings them into the house and lets them go in the hallway. Then just watches them jump around. I am unable to count the number of times I have had to try to catch them and release them back outside.

Much to Holly's annoyance.

Hello @Former-Member

Trouble is she grabs them and brings them inside, unknown to me at the time. She must be very careful and gentle with them though, because they never appear to be harmed.-- Holly is bringing you a present ,

I Inherited my grandmas cat , and he used to bring presents in everyday

@Former-Member, just be careful that Holly does not bite toads, she could gt sick xx

My kelpie is sooo cute!!!

Just before I lay down on the floor and she plonked herself down right next to me and put her two front pows over my arms (as if she is holding my arms down).

And licks, licks and licks. When i talk to her she stops licking and just stares. like she understnds everything i am saying.

if i say 'Jersey let's go outside and hang the clothes out' - she runs to the back door

if is say 'jersey do you want to go for a walk' - she runs to the front door and starts jumping like a kangroo!!!

if i say 'jersey let's go and pick up (whoever) one of the kids' - she stops, her ears stick up and she runs to the door. if you take your time to come downstairs, she runs back up looks and me and runs back down to the front door.

she loves to play hide and seek.

she is MY BEST FRIEND xx00

Hello @BlueBay Heart

That is sooo wonderful ,Jersey ;loves you xx

Pets are so lovely , with my dog Tara , I would hide pieces of cheese for her to find -- she finds them everytime

One day tara came in barking and going on wanted mw to follow her  and outside we saw my other dog , a foxy digging a hole, under the fence and tara came in to tell on him xx

Okay guys @Shaz51 @Former-Member & others. I have to get this off my chest because it's affecting me too much.
I had 2 dogs initially. Last year I rehomed a dog that was in the kennels for 3 months. He's a nice boy. Likes his cuddles but he's just so dominant - that my older dog hates him. Have been too many fights. Now trying to find him a new home. But that's not my main reason for posting today.
Since I got really sick - over 2 years ago - I've been neglecting my dogs. I still brush them and bath them. But I'm not walking them very often. I give them pats. But they want / need more cuddles and more time.
I know pets are meant to help when feeling down, but when I'm down I tend to ignore them. I love them, but I'm not here for them. And I feel so guilty about it. They deserve more than I've been able to give.
As I've slowly gotten better - I've put my energy into myself and my son. I still don't feel like I have the energy for them.
I don't want them to leave here. My two old dogs. I just feel sh** that I'm not loving them as well as others can.
I wish I could be like some of you here

@utopia - me too!

I was lucky that I was living in semi-detached apartments and my neighbours were really caring for my little kitten. I now live with my parents and they take care of her when I'm ill.

But I totally get it, I neglect her when I'm ill, but I try to make up for it when I'm well. I like to think she understands that I'm unwell and can't do as much as I'd like.

Would your neighbours take them out for a walk when you're unwell?

Hi @utopia

I'm sorry to read that when you're down it's hard to look after your dogs.  I understand that becasue when you're down the last thing you want to do is play/look after pets.

I agree with @Former-Member is there someone close by, like a teenager that would love to walk your dog? Even if you could give the student a little pocket money for doing it, it would benefit the dog and you because then you know he has had his walk and you can rest when not well.

I know there are certain people around that do that - walk other people's dogs.  But i would ask a teenager, do you have any friends that have teenage kids looking for a bit of pocket money?

But i do understand what you are saying.  Hugs to you @utopia xxxoo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance